English teaching job acquired!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
magnum
Junior Poster

English teaching job acquired!

Post by magnum »

Sometime in the next 2 months, I will be working in ChongQing, I got the Contract in my Email today.

I'll head off to Beijing for 15 days in a prepaid apartment, where for the next 10 days I'll be trained by other teachers and paid for my training time.

A lot went right with this job contract, mostly location, it pays decent the only down side is I'll be off Monday and Tuesday, so my dating options might go down, but it pays for my apartment, and considering I don't have a degree, I can't complain.

the School I'll be working at will be surrounded by 5 colleges, the ex-pat population is low, so I'll have maximum young ladies and minimum Foreign population to mess up a good thing, only the local boys to worry about.

SO many things went right with this job, but I critically suggest you research China, and then research it again to find where you want to teach, I looked at locations for about 2 months or more before narrowing my search down, a lot of it has to do with your objectives and what your willing to tolerate.

Mine were maximizing attractive women, and making sure minimum westerners populated where I would be teaching, I originally was going to have to accept a few jobs I didn't like, but I found out a prime location was open, and jumped on it the second It lined up with my idea of a good location.

A few tips for anyone looking to teach in China too.

Make sure you figure out if the weather suits you, the pollution levels are tolerable to you "I'm a health nut, so working in a place like Beijing is out of the question due to the air" and how western or traditional you want the location to be.

I'm a little worried about the city I'll be working it... I wanted to work in northern china due to the traditional setting, but I'm hoping Chongqing isn't too westernized culturally, but either way I will do well.

I'm going to post updates on here as things progress and have the time, but I'll probably go dark for about a month.

On a side note, I think this forum needs a mind set change, my posts are going to be in a effort to help someone who may be in the same boat as me and actually cares about other people, I'm done with self serving elitists who just want P4P

I'd like to take this moment to give a shout out to all the guys here who helped me out, gave me a moral boost and useful information and more, In no special order.

kai1275
Fenix
Ghost
Bao3niang
CheezeRaider

I don't agree with everything the guys above say, but they have a willingness to help others, something everyone should strive to have, a little humility will change your life, or the lack of it could break it.

I'm here to help people of a moral nature, if I can help you I will, but life gives no hand outs, first you need the desire to better your self and the will to fallow the correct plans to bring that about, if you can't handle changing your self, changing your environment wont matter, the world owes you nothing, and luck is a excuse the weak use to make themselves feel better about planned and calculated risks succeeding for others.

I've got a bumpy road ahead of me, but It feels good knowing progress is being made, and my life is about to shine much brighter far away from the western world, magnum signing out.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Good luck to you, Magnum! I'm glad you were able to find a job in China that fit you. I think DiscoProJoe (a former HA poster) also teaches in Chongqing as well.. Anwyay, if you ever happen to be near Shenzhen, drop me a pm so we could hang-out together. Good-luck to you.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Congrats! I look forward to hearing of your travels and experiences. Be safe over there...
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Congratulations Magnum as you see there is light at the end of the tunnel and I look forward to your posts.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Chongqing is called the furnace city because its so hot in the summer, the woman are hot too. You should do ok with ladies there, its in Southern China. Its important to get a girlfriend in China to help you do all shopping and errands, its not easy if you can't speak the language. I hope you like spicey food.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Now that's news to lift the spirits on a cold and dreary Monday morning. :D
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Post by manly5000 »

Congrats Magnum. Go start living your dream brother!
Out in the world living the dream!
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Re: English teaching job acquired!

Post by Devil Dog »

magnum wrote: ...first you need the desire to better your self and the will to fallow the correct plans to bring that about, if you can't handle changing your self, changing your environment wont matter, the world owes you nothing, and luck is a excuse the weak use to make themselves feel better about planned and calculated risks succeeding for others.

I've got a bumpy road ahead of me, but It feels good knowing progress is being made, and my life is about to shine much brighter far away from the western world, magnum signing out.
+1000
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Congratulations! I'm very proud of you! It won't be easy, do your best to take some Mandarin classes to help day game approaches or set up dates with English speakers online. Or both! You have my contact and phone number. Call me or write me anytime. Never wait if something is urgent and you need help. Especially if I am too busy to check the forum. I got a little one on the way and 100 other things going on. A few others here have your back too. Everdred momopi and ethan_sg will help you too. Adventurer too. Plenty of China expats and experts around even if it's quiet in here.

Pretty soon you can be one of the experts here too. :D

Also stay in your lane and be smart. Chongqing women are the hottest and they all know it. Be careful with the 8-10s! Get their expectations up front and early so you don't waste time.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah good luck in Chongqing.

All I know is that it's a vast city, and can be cold in Winter. Communism has more of a grip there than it does in Guangdong or Shanghai.

I only met one Sichuan girl - I don't think that many speak English compared to those from Hubei, Hunan or Guangdong. She was nice, but way to feisty for my liking. She was practically force feeding me on our first (and only) date!

My first Chinese gf's family also lived there. I'm guessing it's not too different from Hubei. It certainly looked similar on the TV shows I've seen about it.

Don't take anything valuable, it might go mouldy in the climate like my expensive coat did in Guangzhou!

If you save up some cash, go to a CELTA in Bangkok or somewhere.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

That is GREAT news Magnum! I had to come back just to congratulate you on that one. These are the kinds of stories HA needs more of. People really DOING IT. Your situation was starting to sound dismal enough that I was beginning to worry. I am glad you will be in China rather than on that African battlefield.

I been to Chongqing once. My sister got married there. I was only there three days, so it's not like I got a real feel for the place, but it looked nice. It was not unlike many other places I visited, and I've been all over China.

Get ready to have a great time. Relax and go with the flow. Most importantly, use your free time to continue building a better future. As mentioned above, there area a few other expats here to call on in times of need.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: English teaching job acquired!

Post by momopi »

magnum wrote: A lot went right with this job contract, mostly location, it pays decent the only down side is I'll be off Monday and Tuesday, so my dating options might go down, but it pays for my apartment, and considering I don't have a degree, I can't complain.
Perhaps you can look into "study abroad" programs at local university while you're in Chongqing.

After you take a few courses, instead of not listing a college degree on your resume, you can list it in this format:

Education
------------
BA, Organizational Behavior with Sheep (in progress)
The University of Baaaaaaaa

Or

Candidate for Bachelors of Arts Degree in Sheep Herding
University of Baaaaaaaaa
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Mine were maximizing attractive women, and making sure minimum westerners populated where I would be teaching
Perfect
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

Congratulations!! :D
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Congrats Magnum! I am glad that there are people who are taking more drive to live abroad and follow there dreams.