Observations of Hong Kong during my stay there...

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Observations of Hong Kong during my stay there...

Post by zboy1 »

I just made my first trip to Hong Kong with a Chinese female friend. We stayed for a few days....

The first place I visited, while in Hong Kong, was Victoria Harbor and the Bruce Lee statue and Hong Kong Walk-of-Fame.

What I like about Hong Kong:

1) It is a very cosmopolitan and multicultural city.

2) Lot's of things to see and do there...

3) The Food is very good--with many global ethnic cuisines (reminds of back home in NYC).

4) I saw many interracial couples--even Asian men with Black, Filipino and White women. Also, I think Hong Kong women are more willing to date Black and Indian men than what I saw in China. There were also more White male, Chinese female interracial couples than in China.

5) The food, of course!!!

6) People actually speak English HERE! You don't how much of a relief that is, after having spent so much time in the mainland, where anyone speaking English is met with shock and curious stares and comments. ...

7) Many Western goods and restaurants--at the tip of your fingers!

8) Easy to make friends with people here in Hong Kong. ...

Things I don't like about Hong Kong!

1) Too fast-paced: reminds me too much of New Jerk City.

2) Too many people here and too crowded--especially in some parts of Hong Kong.

3) The women that I came across in Hong Kong, were nowhere near as pretty as mainland Chinese girls, in my opinion. (I know this opinion will be hotly disputed by some people on the forum.)

4) The pollution and smog is worse than Shenzhen.

5) It's a very expensive city.

6) Some HK'ers can be very rude and brusque.

Overall, Hong Kong was a great trip. I would definitely live in Hong Kong if I could...that is...if I could afford it, LOL! And right now, I can't Sad

So, I think Hong Kong might be a good alternative for those not really into living a 'totally foreign experience' in mainland China; especially for those craving a more Western-influenced lifestyle than what the mainland can offer. ...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Nice trip report!

I loved HK when I went in 2006. It was my first trip to Asia, and started the ball rolling on my whole Asian dating thing and my eventual year spent living in China and Thailand.

At the time it was dirt cheap there apart from hotels. Hotels are way more expensive now, as so many more mainlanders go there.

Anyone who likes HK will love Tokyo as well.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Observations of Hong Kong during my stay there...

Post by Rock »

zboy1 wrote:I just made my first trip to Hong Kong with a Chinese female friend. We stayed for a few days....

The first place I visited, while in Hong Kong, was Victoria Harbor and the Bruce Lee statue and Hong Kong Walk-of-Fame.

What I like about Hong Kong:

1) It is a very cosmopolitan and multicultural city.

2) Lot's of things to see and do there...

3) The Food is very good--with many global ethnic cuisines (reminds of back home in NYC).

4) I saw many interracial couples--even Asian men with Black, Filipino and White women. Also, I think Hong Kong women are more willing to date Black and Indian men than what I saw in China. There were also more White male, Chinese female interracial couples than in China.

5) The food, of course!!!

6) People actually speak English HERE! You don't how much of a relief that is, after having spent so much time in the mainland, where anyone speaking English is met with shock and curious stares and comments. ...

7) Many Western goods and restaurants--at the tip of your fingers!

8) Easy to make friends with people here in Hong Kong. ...

Things I don't like about Hong Kong!

1) Too fast-paced: reminds me too much of New Jerk City.

2) Too many people here and too crowded--especially in some parts of Hong Kong.

3) The women that I came across in Hong Kong, were nowhere near as pretty as mainland Chinese girls, in my opinion. (I know this opinion will be hotly disputed by some people on the forum.)

4) The pollution and smog is worse than Shenzhen.

5) It's a very expensive city.

6) Some HK'ers can be very rude and brusque.

Overall, Hong Kong was a great trip. I would definitely live in Hong Kong if I could...that is...if I could afford it, LOL! And right now, I can't Sad

So, I think Hong Kong might be a good alternative for those not really into living a 'totally foreign experience' in mainland China; especially for those craving a more Western-influenced lifestyle than what the mainland can offer. ...
Pretty much agrees with my own observations there. But...I found it very difficult to find real HK girls (not flippers, mainland imports, or other foreigners) keen on dating a western guy not on a fat expat package with an impressive title. Also, keep in mind, HK has a much higher density of westerners, especially professional ones than all but perhaps first tier China. And they are very used to westerners as they've been living and working side-by-side with them for decades. So that reason alone makes it more likely you will see some mixed couples here and there. But I believe it's probably easier as a westerner to find a local gf in much of China than in HK, especially if you are 'Joe English teacher' which HK girls would likely consider to be white trash based on the salary.

I think Taipei is a much better option. Less expensive, just as developed, people more polite, and English level a little worse but still much better than in China. Dating prospects (with local girls) better too for the 'Joe English teacher' types.
Anthropolonerd
Freshman Poster

Post by Anthropolonerd »

Rock wrote:Pretty much agrees with my own observations there. But...I found it very difficult to find real HK girls (not flippers, mainland imports, or other foreigners) keen on dating a western guy not on a fat expat package with an impressive title. Also, keep in mind, HK has a much higher density of westerners, especially professional ones than all but perhaps first tier China. And they are very used to westerners as they've been living and working side-by-side with them for decades. So that reason alone makes it more likely you will see some mixed couples here and there. But I believe it's probably easier as a westerner to find a local gf in much of China than in HK, especially if you are 'Joe English teacher' which HK girls would likely consider to be white trash based on the salary.

I think Taipei is a much better option. Less expensive, just as developed, people more polite, and English level a little worse but still much better than in China. Dating prospects (with local girls) better too for the 'Joe English teacher' types.
Aren't there a lot of rather wealthy working women in HK who can't find husbands, as local men would rather get poor brides from mainland China or Thailand etc? What if you are young (under 30) and your goal is to snag a rich sugar momma? Maybe it would be best to wait till 35 and get one who is 30-ish, then you have more insight in their earning potential....
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Anthropolonerd wrote:
Rock wrote:Pretty much agrees with my own observations there. But...I found it very difficult to find real HK girls (not flippers, mainland imports, or other foreigners) keen on dating a western guy not on a fat expat package with an impressive title. Also, keep in mind, HK has a much higher density of westerners, especially professional ones than all but perhaps first tier China. And they are very used to westerners as they've been living and working side-by-side with them for decades. So that reason alone makes it more likely you will see some mixed couples here and there. But I believe it's probably easier as a westerner to find a local gf in much of China than in HK, especially if you are 'Joe English teacher' which HK girls would likely consider to be white trash based on the salary.

Aren't there a lot of rather wealthy working women in HK who can't find husbands, as local men would rather get poor brides from mainland China or Thailand etc? What if you are young (under 30) and your goal is to snag a rich sugar momma? Maybe it would be best to wait till 35 and get one who is 30-ish, then you have more insight in their earning potential....
I don't know how much that happens. But HK women don't exactly ooze of sexuality. I remember reading recently that 1/3 of HK women in their 40s have never even had a child. I think many might not even desire or need sex. I suspect parts of China would be even better for finding sugar mommas (single or married). A westerner is more exotic there.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I absolutely hated Hong Kong on my second trip, not that I really liked it on the first. The one thing I must agree on, though, is the food. Absolutely astonishing. Apparently competition is so outrageous there that if you're food isn't the bee's knees, you will be out of business in no time. Food was just to die for!

All other aspects of life there I could do without. EVen if I was a billionaire I would never choose there as a place to live.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I really liked my time in Hong Kong (only a week). The food was great, the weather was nice (cool) and there was plenty to see.

I agree about the smog (horrible). We walked everywhere and I realized that my terrible headaches were caused by the smog I was breathing while walking around. It's not wonder that people walk with masks or rags over their face while walking.

I didn't see one attractive girl during the time I was there. Granted, I didn't do the nightlife thing where I'm sure I'd have seen some.

Service was hilarious. If you don't realize that customer service is non-existent, you'll never get served. Don't expect your food server, for instance, to come take your order. You have to wave them down to get that order taken. Your server will drop your food on the table and walk away once it's done...not to return until you wave them down again to pay. It's really not bad, its just was so different coming from the USA. I actually would probably prefer it once getting used to it...
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Rock wrote:
Anthropolonerd wrote:

I don't know how much that happens. But HK women don't exactly ooze of sexuality. I remember reading recently that 1/3 of HK women in their 40s have never even had a child. I think many might not even desire or need sex. I suspect parts of China would be even better for finding sugar mommas (single or married). A westerner is more exotic there.
Women in Singapore don't seem to want to have children either. I believe the reason is that children are expensive and would make life harder. People in Singapore are EXTREMELY focused on $$. They don't want to be without it and will make adjustments so that they always have it. You think this could be the same in Hong Kong? Singaporean women like sex, it's just that many don't want children due to the hardship they can cause. Some also reserve sex for those that can help them with the $$ issue (often those on Expat packages). The cost of living is very high in both places so money will obviously be an issue for most...

The two biggest hobbies in Singapore are going out to eat and shopping. I thought women in the USA liked to shop...until I went to Singapore. I think that many would rather be able to buy their brand name purses, shoes, etc than to have a family. They have the 3Cs that everyone always says you need to get women in Singapore: Car, Condo, Credit Card.