In Spain now, on the way to Colombia

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

rudder wrote:
publicduende wrote:the Basque Country have a large community of Catholic born and bred women, who will be more traditional and family-oriented. Of the latter camp, please avoid those who mention their affiliation with Opus Dei, avoid them like the plague!
Could you please elaborate on this? I used to live in the Basque Country and never heard of Opus Dei. Also, I certainly got the sense that the younger women in the Basque Country were as areligious as their counterparts in any other area in Spain.

The reason I mentioned Zamboanga is because it is Spanish-speaking. And the OP was asking about a couple Spanish speaking places. Is the rest of Mindanao Spanish-speaking or just Zamboanga?
Hehe...entire books could be written (and indeed have been) about Opus Dei. Suffice to say it's one of the most hypocrite Catholic communities in the world, with methods bordering those used by a sect. Just to get a small taste of it: http://www.odan.org/tw_nightmarish_experience.htm
They have a massive presence all over Spain, especially in Navarra, Latin America and they have quite a footprint in Italy too. I have never met anyone who had been involved with Opus Dei who wasn't a complete hypocrite: preaching sanctity and all that's good in the world but being an absolute cynical, calculating, backstabbing a**hole. I had the misfortune of being "touched" by them when I was a teenager. My parents had sent me to a three-weeks summer camp organised by them somewhere in Rome. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences in my life, and probably the one that shaped up my strong anti-clericalism and pushed me to become a commie a couple of years later.

They don't really speak proper Spanish in Zamboanga, just a creole dialect called Chavacano. Even Davao have their own version of Chavacano, in fact. I was kind of startled when I said "sigue derecho" to a taxi driver just out of fun and he actually understood that I wanted him to keep driving straight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chavacano_language

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rebecca1234
Freshman Poster

Re: In Spain now, on the way to Colombia

Post by Rebecca1234 »

ryanx! You are going to such an amazing and interesting post. It is really a very beautiful place. Colombia is a very amazing place, it is also one of the top tourist attractions in the whole world. I have never been in there but have a huge wish to visit that, I will really appreciate if someone will share so information about the amazing place.
What about the new york to canada niagara falls?