My Bangkok, Thailand Trip

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Food in Bangkok is great. Not had a bad meal there yet, AND never had the wrong thing delivered to my table.

Had some good Indian food in Guangzhou, but it was 100RMB for what was really just rice and beans. Ouch.

Hubei food is good, as is Xinxiang food.

This thread has gone stale, I need to go back to Bangkok and do some more stuff :lol: .
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

OK, now back in Bangkok. Visa run successful, although I need to do even more paperwork to stay here for the longer term. Living in another country when you don't have a job is never easy (unless you're old enough to get a retirement visa).

It was good getting a night flight because I breezed through immigration and the taxi got to central Bangkok in next to no time.

Bangkok after mid-night is a little depressing - rats, crazy people shouting and dogs barking. It's hot here as well - KL was hot but Bangkok is hotter! On the plus side the 7-11's are vastly superior in Thailand!

What next? I need a plan!!!
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Find something to do with your spare time other than scam on women. You sound like you have way too much time on your hands!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands, but I guess my new Thai language classes will take care of 4 hours a week!

I do a fair bit of work during the day|night though - I've got a couple of customers on oDesk and right now I'm collaborating with another guy on something new.

On a more mundane note... is there a tourist office in Bangkok? I'd like to pick up some leaflets and see what I should be visiting. Maybe I can find some rainforest here that looks exactly like England ;)

I guess I should also try and figure out the bus system here - I had a successful trip on a Malaysian bus so I should try the same here. The downside is that Sukhumvit is really the world's longest car park - they should extend the metro a lot more.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

A few photos of Bangkok. I should go out and take some more. It just feels a bit unsafe walking round with an SLR here - I didn't feel the same worry in Malaysia.

Of course one reason for not getting out much is the terrible public transport here, which lags other cities. Venture on a bus and you'll often not go very far...

Motorcycles maybe a better bet, but I've seen too many hideous scooter accidents on BestGore. Plus you can guarantee a foreigner without a crash helmet will get fined by the police...

Petite ladies or a huge shopping bag:

Glad to see some of them are using parasols anyway. They've probably seen all the 30 year old Aussie women here who look 50!!!

Just up from Nana Plaza. Rock knows a really good Middle Eastern restaurant here, I've been many times now. They have about 500 things on the menu, all of them good :). Incidentally, street food is great here - I had some Thai fish cakes with Everdred, and they were way, way, better than the ones I had in a shopping mall restaurant!

Quite a nice shrine. I'm pleased at how clean Bangkok looks compared to Guangzhou! It's so nice that Thai kids aren't brought up to throw litter away in the street.

Shrine in the first hotel I stayed in. Those offerings didn't please the wifi god. Hotel/apartment Wifi reliability is terrible here - far worse than China ever was.

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Why does it feel unsafe to walk around with an SLR? Bangkok is a great city to photograph, it's relatively safe, and unless you go around sticking a camera in someone's face, you should have absolutely no problem. I've worked in Bangkok for many years as a photographer. I carry my camera everywhere. Today I photographed Hualamphong Station - photographed tuk-tuk drivers, derelicts, barbers, train attendants, passengers...no worries.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

xiongmao

Good you got SLR camera on you, take some random photos of chicks, we wanna see what average BKK looks like, normal girls(parks, malls, streets..). Everybody is talking about delicious food and hot girls in bkk ....pictures worth 1000 words.

But please exclude Nana, Cowboy, Patpong girls
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, I'll take the SLR out soon. I'm a bit busy on a crazy new project at the moment, plus I've done my foot in from too much walking in KL.

There's also an element of "what goes on in Bkk stays in Bkk". I just feel like keeping a lot of Bkk to myself.

On the safety aspect, I've done a bit of research on that and it turns out Bkk is pretty much the safest place to be a farang in Thailand. Odd, but seemingly true.

Some guys on another forum also took exception to me taking photos of real Asian women - a shame really as I have to say that the girls here in Thailand are nothing like I imagined them to be. So somebody should be out recording real life.

Before I came to Bkk I thought there would be lots of Chinese looking women here, but I've not seen many at all - far fewer here than there were in KL.

And yeah, I know about being careful photographing Patpong, Soi Cowboy and Nana! Saw some Japanese photographing Nana Plaza, I'm surprised a ladyboy didn't deck them both. Actually I thought the Patpong gogo girls were pretty hot.

I just wished I'd photographed that Chinese dude talking to a huge breasted ladyboy while out walking with his 10yo daughter. That was an absolutely priceless Bkk moment.

By the way AmericanInBangkok, have you been around Klong Toei? It not that far from me, and I've heard it's got a few markets that are off the usual tourist spots. Maybe I'll drag Everdred out for an excursion.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Be careful guys, if you spend too much time abroad then you WILL go mad. Stickman Bangkok actually saw (and got chased by) the guy who scribbles this stuff up and down Sukhumvit in Central Bangkok:

Maybe it's the designs for a ship that will take us to Mars in 3 days. But you want to build it you'd better collect up a whole load of street furniture in order to get the entire blueprint...

After a dating drought I met a lady tonight. In fact I met two ladies, because I also met her friend.

I should post this on the ladies' forum: never take a chaperone on a date!

I inevitably fall for the chaperone.

Actually this time they were both good. One was tall, light skinned and dressed a bit Thai-Hiso like, but she was nice and down to earth. The other one was dark skinned, very petite and a lot of fun. She reminded me of what bar girls must be like when they get off the bus from Issan.

Although she wasn't from Issan. Sadly my poor geography and their bad English made it impossible to find out where they were from. They weren't from Issan though!

They had great personalities, and reminded me of the Chinese University students, before too much life experience and disappointment made them bitter and twisted.

I was really pleased with myself having 2 dates in the shopping mall, but then I saw another farang who also had 2 ladies with him. Damn!

I don't know if I will see one/either/both of them again - I hope I do. Anyway, one more dating bucket list achievement: I've dated a girl with teeth braces. I used to have a huge thing for those.

What else? It's apparently the rainy season here, and it doesn't feel that hot. Although I think if a farang just arrived here from farangland then they'd think the heat and humidity was overwhelming.

I've bust my foot, presumably from too much barefoot walking on tiled floors, plus the general poor state of the sidewalks here.

I'm in competition with Everdred to find the cheapest food possible here. He came up with a 200 baht dinner for 2 (with beer). Today I spent 27 baht on lunch. It was rice, green curry with fishballs and a mystery vegetable. Not bad, but not as good as my new adopted Thai mom's green curry. She doesn't know she's adopted me yet, but when I go to her restaurant every day she'll get to know me.

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Very interesting Xiongmao! I'll be looking for UFO's next time I get to walk around Sukhumvit. :P

We'll need to go to Isaan and Chiang Mai together sometime, if they give me a chance to ditch work for at least one entire week. :D
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Can you take pics of the people?

"here is an average looking Thai girl who I think is middle class I would give her a 6"
"This right here is slightly prettier thai girl I give her a seven"
"This is a typical prostitute"
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:What was the name of the market?

I've seen you write several times that Thai women look like Indian women and they don't look at all like Chinese ladies. Plenty of Thai-Chinese chicks who would take offense at that statement.

As far as the pretty girls, as they're known here, I dated one many years ago. She worked at auto shows and press conferences. She was an 8 or so, very sweet, great body, white skin, spoke decent English, and came from a good family. I found out later in our relationship that she had a Hong Kong businessman taking care of her. I knew the relationship probably wasn't going to progress so it wasn't heartbreaking but it was a bit of a bummer since she was pretty tasty. We remained friends but I lost touch with her years ago.

The first shot was taken in Terminal 21.

Why Winston refuses to visit Thailand is beyond me. Every man should visit Thailand at least once in their life.
Is that her in the middle?
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

mguy wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:What was the name of the market?

I've seen you write several times that Thai women look like Indian women and they don't look at all like Chinese ladies. Plenty of Thai-Chinese chicks who would take offense at that statement.

As far as the pretty girls, as they're known here, I dated one many years ago. She worked at auto shows and press conferences. She was an 8 or so, very sweet, great body, white skin, spoke decent English, and came from a good family. I found out later in our relationship that she had a Hong Kong businessman taking care of her. I knew the relationship probably wasn't going to progress so it wasn't heartbreaking but it was a bit of a bummer since she was pretty tasty. We remained friends but I lost touch with her years ago.

The first shot was taken in Terminal 21.

Why Winston refuses to visit Thailand is beyond me. Every man should visit Thailand at least once in their life.
Is that her in the middle?
Was it the nose or beard that give it away?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

If anyone wonders where I've gone...

I've managed to meet 5 ladies in 4 days.

I now have a system, and it's working very well. When I get time I'll write my system down.

First I met a tall(ish) girl and her petite friend. Both were awesome, with little to choose between them.

Next up was a shopping mall store girl. Well she was a big disappointment, maybe the biggest disappointment in my dating history. I didn't stick around to go out on a date with her.

Last night I met a quite nice girl. But she annoyed me by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu, then it was clear she had the shopping gene. Also I just couldn't understand her English. So I won't see her again.

Today's date was definitely the best so far. I met her on wechat's lookaround feature. wechat doesn't give much away about people so it's always potluck - I don't even know her age. Well Rock told me not to focus on age. Anyway, she's a petite little brown girl from Issan and I spent a really good day with her. Definitely great girlfriend material, not sure about the wife thing but that might come with time. She looks a lot like a Filipina and definitely looks better irl than in photos. And I'm pleased she looks better than a lot of the Issan girls that farangs walk around town with, but not too hot that some other guy would steal her.

This city really is awash with single women, but you need a system.

Seen a few more guys with Asian brides. Starting to curse the Japanese here, because I saw this really old dude with a young 9 who so obviously wasn't his wife.

Also saw an old farag with a very young girl - he's living his dream.

There's a crazy Western woman in the hotel this week, she sits on the balcony day and night talking to her friends about boyfriends. She threatened to top herself the other night. Thailand does attract crazies.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of young Western alpha types are here. You know the type - mid 20's, bulging biceps, the kind Western women go gaga over in preference for us geeks. No idea why they need to be monging here, but they are here in big numbers. Maybe even RooshV's members are getting fed up with AW!

It's been a pretty good day here all in all. The local school had it sports day. While the Thai kids were pretty rubbish at sports, most of the day was taken up with some rather brilliant team dances. There were even a few ladyboy boys in full make up and dresses!

I also think the farang busker outside my 7-11 is actually Thai. It's rather hard to tell because farangs who have stayed here and rather outstayed their welcome look similarly disheveled.

Also saw some monks going into the 7-11 - I followed them in to see what they were buying.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

I d.icked down a chick similar to her build, but she was 5'9" on Cowboy Soi back in 2007