Updates from Winston's Return to the Philippines!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

jboy wrote:If anyone wants to meet up at Davao I'll be there tomorrow til Friday then back at Manila on Friday night.

I'm jealous of Ginger talking with Winston on the phone and Rock meeting him for the nth time, how come I don't know when meet ups are happening its time for me to up my posts stalking skills lol.
Just PM Rock or Winston and state you would like to meet them sometime in Manila area when you are all around/available. I'm sure they will accommodate you if your schedule and location preferences are flexible.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

when does the ha office open?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Dark_Sol wrote:Wait, so how many guys on here live in the Philippines? Maybe I should visit there and hang with you guys. Also, I've been reading that Davao is a nice cheap place to live.
Yeah, do it man. I'm hoping I can make a side-visit to the Phillies, and see if it is as chaotic and crazy as nearby China is.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Dark_Sol wrote:Wait, so how many guys on here live in the Philippines? Maybe I should visit there and hang with you guys. Also, I've been reading that Davao is a nice cheap place to live.
Anywhere outside of the major cities of Manila/Cebu/Baguio are for the most part cheap places to live; it's just a matter of area preference, monetary habits and how well you mix with the local culture in whatever particular area you wish to hang out in. So some people will think Mindanao is the greatest place in Philippines, others Visayas and yet others various parts of Luzon. It's all what you make of it and not everyone will be attracted to the same areas because everyone is a unique individual with their own needs and interests to pursue. I have my own preferences based on personal experience which doesn't necessarily jive with others recommendations on the forum.

If you have never been to the Philippines I wouldn't just fly to 'Davao' and not go anywhere else cause you heard other people say it's cool. Depending on how long you are in PI and what your monetary limits are I would spend equal time in parts of Luzon/Visayas/Mindanao and then that way you get get a frame of reference regarding which geographical area you prefer, then you can hone in on particular parts of that region. Initially stay in the major cities of a certain region then as you meet people and experience things from your city base you can then make the decision to move to another city or go out to a provincial area from there.

I would recommend for first timers if you can stay longer than the typical 7-10 day vacation the slave masters give you in the states (other countries I understand are more gracious with holiday leave), do the 21 days/3 week experience. It's enough time to see and experience a lot of places and if you monitor your spending you won't necessarily go broke in the process. You can always extend your visa to 60 days if you want to stay longer.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

xiongmao wrote:
Yeah, do it man. I'm hoping I can make a side-visit to the Phillies, and see if it is as chaotic and crazy as nearby China is.
The entire Manila geographic area is mainly the crazy and chaotic part of the Philippines, the other cities aren't so bad, yet...I guess the Fields Ave area of Angeles City would be considered crazy to some people but it's really not so bad in that regard, especially if you've already experienced Thailand.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

Mr S wrote:
jboy wrote:If anyone wants to meet up at Davao I'll be there tomorrow til Friday then back at Manila on Friday night.

I'm jealous of Ginger talking with Winston on the phone and Rock meeting him for the nth time, how come I don't know when meet ups are happening its time for me to up my posts stalking skills lol.
Just PM Rock or Winston and state you would like to meet them sometime in Manila area when you are all around/available. I'm sure they will accommodate you if your schedule and location preferences are flexible.
Thanks man, shot a PM at Rock, will PM Winston too. My schedule is pretty flexible but do need at least a general area and time a day prior sonce we both know how bad traffic is in Metro Manila. I'm based way north at Valenzuela thus it can be a bit of a problem.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Twobrains wrote:Ladislav, I believe you're sincere in your belief, but you haven't described one present-day behaviour that would indicate a substantial Hindu bedrock to PI society. What exactly is it that you have managed to detect, in practical terms? How does that affect how we should deal with Filipinos on a day-to-day basis?

This is not just academic for me because my next destination may well be Malaysia, so I'd like to know what parallels to look out for, in *practical* terms. I don't have two decades to figure it out.
Thank you for at least conceding me that I do know what I am talking about. Basically, it is passivity, peaceful non-resistance to evil, and then sneakiness and changeability in terms of promises. Total, almost quantum-like uncertainty and then submission to God's will- fatalism. Belief in Karma. Meditative, almost ashram-induced-like state of tranquility and emotional balance. Overwhelming belief in reincarnation. Not worrying about the future. Conflict avoidance. Not apologizing but letting things cool off. Grudges that are strong for a while but then evaporate and are forgotten. I am mixing Malay culture and Hinduism.

This is what Filipinos had been for tens of thousands of years before the Spanish came:

Keep in mind that unlike in Latin America, there was never a mass immigration by Spaniards. They maintained harrisons and kept priests there who did not teach people Spanish but who instead learned the people's native languages. As far as the religion, they changed the rites and imposed a structure of how those rites were to be conducted, but it simply became old Hindu religion dressed in these new rites and clothes. For example, in India, you can teach people Christianity and they accept it- they just take Jesus to be another God among the Gods they already have.

When I say Hindu, I mean this Hindu:

Not this Hindu

Last edited by ladislav on February 25th, 2013, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:Basically, it is passivity, peaceful non-resistance to evil, and then sneakiness and changeability in terms of promises. Total, almost quantum-like uncertainty and then submission to God's will- fatalism. Belief in Karma. Meditative, almost ashram-induced-like state of tranquility and emotional balance. Overwhelming belief in reincarnation. Not worrying about the future. Conflict avoidance. Not apologizing but letting things cool off. Grudges that are strong for a while but then evaporate and are forgotten. I am mixing Malay culture and Hinduism.
This is exactly what I thought you meant.

Filipinos fooled me before. They seem so Americanized on the outside. Now - perhaps because of your posts, not sure - have been learning to listen for what they leave unsaid.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

ladislav wrote:
Twobrains wrote:Ladislav, I believe you're sincere in your belief, but you haven't described one present-day behaviour that would indicate a substantial Hindu bedrock to PI society. What exactly is it that you have managed to detect, in practical terms? How does that affect how we should deal with Filipinos on a day-to-day basis?

This is not just academic for me because my next destination may well be Malaysia, so I'd like to know what parallels to look out for, in *practical* terms. I don't have two decades to figure it out.
Thank you for at least conceding me that I do know what I am talking about. Basically, it is passivity, peaceful non-resistance to evil, and then sneakiness and changeability in terms of promises. Total, almost quantum-like uncertainty and then submission to God's will- fatalism. Belief in Karma. Meditative, almost ashram-induced-like state of tranquility and emotional balance. Overwhelming belief in reincarnation. Not worrying about the future. Conflict avoidance. Not apologizing but letting things cool off. Grudges that are strong for a while but then evaporate and are forgotten. I am mixing Malay culture and Hinduism.

This is what Filipinos had been for tens of thousands of years before the Spanish came:

Keep in mind that unlike in Latin America, there was never a mass immigration by Spaniards. They maintained harrisons and kept priests there who did not teach people Spanish but who instead learned the people's native languages. As far as the religion, they changed the rites and imposed a structure of how those rites were to be conducted, but it simply became old Hindu religion dressed in these new rites and clothes. For example, in India, you can teach people Christianity and they accept it- they just take Jesus to be another God among the Gods they already have.

When I say Hindu, I mean this Hindu:

Not this Hindu

Tens of thousands of years? LOL There is no recorded history, there is no archeology or any other evidence to suggest such a thing. I would not expect Filipinos to be renouncing Catholicism anytime soon. The characteristics you talk about would also be found in some indigenous groups in South America...

Historians see the Indus Valley civilization as the root of Hinduism and that was about 3000BC with the early Vedas
compiled about 1200BC and the Brahmanical aspects of Hinduism being developed a few hundred years after that.
India itself has perhaps 3500 years of Hindu history.

A synoptic peak and pre-Spanish Animism in the Philippines may be found here:
http://asiapacificuniverse.com/pkm/spirit.htm

To assume Hindu origins of these characteristics is a big leap in logic without first looking at what is already known
of Animism as it was practiced in the Philippines.

Outwest
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

OutWest wrote: Tens of thousands of years? LOL There is no recorded history, there is no archeology or any other evidence to suggest such a thing. I would not expect Filipinos to be renouncing Catholicism anytime soon. The characteristics you talk about would also be found in some indigenous groups in South America...

Historians see the Indus Valley civilization as the root of Hinduism and that was about 3000BC with the early Vedas
compiled about 1200BC and the Brahmanical aspects of Hinduism being developed a few hundred years after that.
India itself has perhaps 3500 years of Hindu history.

A synoptic peak and pre-Spanish Animism in the Philippines may be found here: http://asiapacificuniverse.com/pkm/spirit.htm

To assume Hindu origins of these characteristics is a big leap in logic without first looking at what is already known of Animism as it was practiced in the Philippines.

Outwest

I agree I don't know where he's coming up with this stuff.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I feel like a normal person again. I can breathe and not suffocate all the time like in Taiwan. I can tell a girl she's maganda without feeling like a creep. And I can eat lunch at 3pm without having all restaurants close between 2 and 5 like in Taiwan. In Taiwan it's hard to feel happy because everything feels so strict and repressed all the time. Know what I mean? Everything feels much more normal and natural here.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I posted the above on my Facebook wall. Check out what my friend Sean, Gits Ferrari (David) and Eurobrat posted in response in the comments section. They totally agree and relate.

David Hansen Excellent News! Oil and Water doesn't mix!
Saturday at 3:57am · Like · 1

Eurobrat Glad you're finally enjoying life.
Saturday at 3:58am · Like

Gits Ferrari Loving it man! I'm finishing my 3rd book here in Taipei, and then I might be right behind you!
Saturday at 4:10am · Like · 1

Sean M. King absolutely! just came back from few wks in Phil back to Taiwan. it's exactly how i felt. Taiwan is like living life in black and white,Philippines feels more like living life in color
Saturday at 5:51pm via mobile · Like · 1

Winston Wu I feel like a normal person again. I can breathe and not suffocate all the time like in Taiwan. I can tell a girl she's maganda without feeling like a creep. And I can eat lunch at 3pm without having all restaurants close between 2 and 5 like in Taiwan. In Taiwan it's hard to feel happy because everything feels so strict and repressed all the time. Know what I mean? Everything feels much more normal and natural here.
2 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Sean M. King yes. totally understand
2 hours ago · Like

Sean M. King just left 2wks in Phil last Tue. wanna go back already
2 hours ago · Like

Sean M. King i'm so sick of Taiwan
2 hours ago · Like

Eurobrat Aren't the living conditions like 2 notches down from Taiwan though?
about an hour ago via mobile · Like

Sean M. King yes, Eurobrat, you could say that. but, living better is no use if you are bored and isolated....its just a cage with golden bars, as Charles Bukowski once said
about an hour ago · Like

Eurobrat Ahh I see. Asian is completely surrounded with isolated cultures that is except one little spot where the Spanish managed to land and settle.

Sean M. King hmm nah, i would say its more of a north asia vs south asia thing. i find noth asia (korea, Taiwan, Japan, China) to be isolated, but south east asia (Phil, Thailand, Malaysia -- the non-chinese part, indonesia, etc) to be different
about an hour ago · Like · 1

Eurobrat Yea but I like the Catholic influence more so than the Buddhist influence.

Winston Wu Exactly Sean. Eurobrat it's all about the vibe of the place. That's what it comes down to. Living conditions can easily be controlled with a little money even in poor countries. U just can't breathe in some countries like Taiwan.

Sean M. King u back in AC, winston?
about an hour ago · Like

Eurobrat Well that's true I guess you can change little things here and there to make yourself more comfortable but changing the society as a whole will never happen.

Winston Wu No I'm still in Manila with Dianne and Angelo doing stuff and shopping.
17 minutes ago · Like

Eurobrat Look at you doing the father thing...
February 26 at 12:04pm via mobile · Like

Winston Wu Furthermore I'm sure Sean can relate that in Taiwan there's nothing to grow your soul or mind. Life is stagnated there. And the vibe is a constant repression. Also it's hard to relax and be at ease with all those super strict faces everywhere, which is the norm in Taiwan.
February 26 at 6:42pm via mobile · Like

Eurobrat Aren't most Asian cultures like that though. I agree with you Winston that you definitely have a European soul.
Wednesday at 1:53am via mobile · Like

Winston Wu I guess East Asian cultures are like that, like Sean said. Especially the Chinese island countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. And Japan too of course.
12 minutes ago · Like

Eurobrat Look at you doing the father thing...
February 26 at 12:04pm via mobile · Like

Winston Wu Furthermore I'm sure Sean can relate that in Taiwan there's nothing to grow your soul or mind. Life is stagnated there. And the vibe is a constant repression. Also it's hard to relax and be at ease with all those super strict faces everywhere, which is the norm in Taiwan.
February 26 at 6:42pm via mobile · Like

Eurobrat Aren't most Asian cultures like that though. I agree with you Winston that you definitely have a European soul.
Wednesday at 1:53am via mobile · Like

Winston Wu I guess East Asian cultures are like that, like Sean said. Especially the Chinese island countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. And Japan too of course.
12 minutes ago · Like
Last edited by Winston on March 6th, 2013, 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Hey Winston, are you coming to China? And are you coming to my province?

My Chinese classes started, but they only take up either a morning or afternoon, so I'm free either on mornings or afternoons, and weekends. I have a vast city to explore in the meantime.

I love how the fact that normal everyday stuff here is absolutely fascinating to me, and I've taken some wonderful photos of crazy s**t I've seen here.

Since I quit my job a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm no longer earning a load of cash, but it's not going to be hard to earn enough here to break even.

Well if anyone wants to visit and oggle white legged Asian ladies then the hotels here are from 100RMB a night and the airport is 20 minutes away.

And if you're stuck doing the same thing day in day out, then it is possible to change your life!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rocks post is funny. Did we really spend six hours together? Wow time seems to fly when I'm with you for some reason. Lol. Maybe because u r so engaging and we connect very well. Lol.

Btw I've never seen u angry or lose ur temper though. Why? Ur one of the few guys who never seems to blow up. Lol. Maybe rck is a Zen master and keeps everything very cerebral. Lol.