colon cancer

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
marinaa
Freshman Poster

colon cancer

Post by marinaa »

How old do you have to be to develop colon cancer? I'm 22 years old and I'm having some problems. I have streaks of blood in my stools and I;m having a hard time going to the bathroom. I keep getting constipated. I eat fiber rich oatmeal and fiber bars almost everyday and I still have issues. I'm constantly bloated and gassy. Could this be colon cancer?
Last edited by marinaa on January 7th, 2011, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I am no doctor, but not likely. Too much fiber can also be a bad thing, especially these heavy grain things. How much high water content foods do you eat? I mean fruits and green vegetables. Also how much water do you drink? Your diet sounds too dry. But like I said, I am no doctor. Why you don't see your physician?
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Re: colon cancer

Post by globetrotter »

marinaa wrote:How old do you have to be to develop colon cancer? I'm 22 years old and I'm having some problems. I have streaks of blood in my stools and I;m having a hard time going to the bathroom. I keep getting constipated. I eat fiber rich oatmeal and fiber bars almost everyday and I still have issues. I'm constantly bloated and gassy. Could this be colon cancer?
Probably not. You are just working too hard or have hemorrhoids.

Is the blood dark red or bright red?

Dark red could be a problem.

I would say go to your doctor, but you probably don't have insurance.

If you go to the E/R they will ignore the possibility in a young man of cc.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

It could also be colitis.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

It could be too much fiber. In the most amazing feat of diagnosis I've ever seen, a doctor friend of mine listened to my complaint about stomach pain over the phone, and wondered if I was eating too many peanuts. Sure enough, I had been going to the ballpark several times a week and eating a large bag of peanuts. When I stopped, the pain went away. My friend said the peanuts can cause a "fibrous buildup"

I've never heard of a case of colon cancer at your age. It usually takes a buildup of gunk in there until middle age before the problems come. If it is dark blood in your stool, though, you should get it checked out.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: colon cancer

Post by momopi »

marinaa wrote:How old do you have to be to develop colon cancer? I'm 22 years old and I'm having some problems. I have streaks of blood in my stools and I;m having a hard time going to the bathroom. I keep getting constipated. I eat fiber rich oatmeal and fiber bars almost everyday and I still have issues. I'm constantly bloated and gassy. Could this be colon cancer?
Ask your question here:
http://www.medhelp.org/