Human Development

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Asp
Freshman Poster

Human Development

Post by Asp »

I have recently discovered the UN's Human Development Index and feel it has great relevance to the situation of those who look abroad for love. I know when I've met females from different places it's been a remarkably reliable predictor of how well things went, the higher the HDI the less favourable things were. The index takes into account three things: health/life expectancy, education and income. Its relevance to potential partners is it's just these types of things that predict well how much potential partners feel they have choice and therefore power over a possible relationship.

The top 20 or so countries in the most recent report are:

Norway 0.971
Australia 0.970
Iceland 0.969
Canada 0.966
Ireland 0.965
Netherlands 0.964
Sweden 0.963
France 0.961
Switzerland 0.960
Japan 0.960
Luxembourg 0.960
Finland 0.959
United States 0.956
Austria 0.955
Spain 0.955
Denmark 0.955
Belgium 0.953
Italy 0.951
Liechtenstein 0.951
New Zealand 0.950
United Kingdom 0.947
Germany 0.947

Within the above list are all the countries that are considered to be the most feminist. Some on this forum might see such countries as being, as it were, feministically developed. Some on this forum might think that when the HDI gets high enough, there are diminishing returns in the human development, particularly as far as women go.

I suspect there is indeed a certain point somewhere along the line past which there's a diminishing return, though for me it's not so much feminism that's responsible, it's more the amount of choice available to females in countries or areas where people are healthy, educated and affluent. Some here have found partners in countries where human development is lower, a very valid approach indeed as because of the lower development more options are opened up for men.