Big Cities vs. Small Towns: Which is friendlier?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

I've been to small towns in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan and Indiana and find people in those small towns are more wary, suspicious and xenophobic of outsiders and strangers, especially if you are a non-Caucasian or non-Christian.

They are also nosey and your personal business seems to matter a great deal to them. I suppose that's "just bein' friendly and folksy."

On the other hand, if you know somebody, particularly one with a good reputation, in that small town, the people will extend that friendliness and hospitality to you.

But if you don't know anybody in a small town, it's hard to earn that trust and friendship.

In the big cities, nobody cares who or what you are and nobody bothers you, which is fine with me.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 13th, 2020, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In2dadark
Freshman Poster

Post by In2dadark »

I agree it would depend on where you are standing as to whether ST's are good are will quickly start to strangle you. That being said, generally speaking I like mid sized cities. In a broad sense, small towns suck ass. Big cities can overwhelm or be great. Frankfurt is one, I lived in for a time, that I liked.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah but the traffic is better in small towns. Not many cars. Easy to get to places. Easy to find parking. No one honks at you. Drivers are more relaxed. I like driving and am not in a rush to get places.

People in small towns are more relaxed about talking to strangers, however, those that talk to strangers are usually older folks. Older folks are talkative and enjoy saying hi and making small talk. Some will hold deep conversations and talk about the good old days vs. how everything sucks now. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

An observation I had while traveling:

People in small towns tend to be more down-to-earth than people in cities. The reason is because cities (especially big cities) tend to attract people who are materialistic, shallow, fake, corrupt, money sharks, and disconnected from nature and spirituality. That's why those are the types of people you find in big cities. On the other hand, small towns attract people who like peace and quiet, and the natural surroundings of the countryside. They are more laid back too. Thus you will find more authentic down-to-earth types in small towns and rural areas, and out hiking in nature too.

I think I know why. Artificial people fit in more with artificial environments, whereas authentic people fit in more with nature and natural surroundings -- because nature is more authentic than cities are of course. In general, the bigger the city, the more artificial the people will be, and the smaller the city, the less artificial they will be. Fake, shallow, corrupt personalities do not truly connect with nature, nor with peace and quiet. They find nature to be hollow and small towns to be boring. They can't stand peace and quiet because they have no inner life and do not like to face the ugliness of their soul, so they need constant distractions. They lack the ability to be one with nature or one with the universe.

Does that make sense?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

I've heard other people say small towns are more helpful but more intrusive whereas big cities will leave you to do your thing but will let you starve in the street. I think it's true.
Stop being angry at the stuff you don't have (yet) in life and instead focus on how to get it.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Big cities vs. Small towns: Which is friendlier?

Post by Winston »

A down to earth realistic film that depicts small town friendliness in America:

Wow I found this film I saw in Poland with Robert once that was very touching and memorable. Its an American film by David Lynch and is very realistic and touching because its a true story of an old man who rides from Iowa to Wisconsin on a lawn mower to make amends with his brother. The scenery of rural America is so beautiful and vivid. And the people he meets along the way are so friendly, down to earth and good natured, just like in real life. Its so realistic and natural you almost forget its a film. I know its real personally because when i drove around the Southwest USA for several months I too met a lot of kind friendly folks like you see in the film.

This film really shows you how much friendlier rural americans are than in the city. Totally unlike Rock's impression of them from the movie "Deliverance". Rock definitely ought to see this so he can see what rural small town folk in America are like in real life. I experienced it personally too so I know what its like, and this film captures it well and very authentically without any acting or drama. Plus its a true story too that happened in 1994.

When we saw it in the independent theater in Krakow, Poland the Polish girls in the theater were very amused at the realism of rural America. It must have been exotic to them. I know because i talked to the girls about the film afterward. Only in Europe could you talk to random girls near you in the cinema about a movie you just saw. That never happens in America or Asia. Maybe Krakow is unique in that sense? Lol. Who knows. Either way I miss that.

Anyway heres the download link to the film so u can see it. Theres something very touching about it. Its hard to explain. You have to see it to know what i mean. .

The Straight Story (1999)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

Download link:
https://yts.mx/movies/the-straight-story-1999

Synopsis
"The Straight Story" chronicles a trip made by 73-year-old Alvin Straight from Laurens, Iowa, to Mt. Zion, Wis., in 1994 while riding a lawn mower. The man undertook his strange journey to mend his relationship with his ill, estranged, 75-year-old brother Lyle.

Trailer

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Big cities vs. Small towns: Which is friendlier?

Post by Winston »

@hypermak

See what I wrote above about Krakow, Poland. As I said, after the movie was over, the girls sitting near me and I talked about the film, even though they were strangers. That would never happen in America or Asia, with girls in a theater that you didn't know. No way. Only in Europe does that sort of thing happen. I really miss that. Gosh. It was so refreshing. That instant familiarity you had with strangers. No way do you get that in America. Hell no!

So my question is, how do you explain that hypermak? Why do you never take it into account? Was this something unique to Krakow, because it was a college town? Either way, I swear to you hypermak, that I've experienced a lot of stuff like that in Europe and Russia that I NEVER EVER experienced in America. Isn't that awesome? Isn't that great? For me it was so SURREAL, like being in a dream. You can't understand what that means to me. It's almost like being in heaven. So why do you never take that into account? Isn't that a good thing? Why do you always ignore and dismiss me when I mention such things? Why can't you accept them? Even if I swear on the Bible that these experiences are true?

statnerd
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by statnerd »

Winston wrote:
May 20th, 2014, 11:18 pm
An observation I had while traveling:

People in small towns tend to be more down-to-earth than people in cities. The reason is because cities (especially big cities) tend to attract people who are materialistic, shallow, fake, corrupt, money sharks, and disconnected from nature and spirituality. That's why those are the types of people you find in big cities. On the other hand, small towns attract people who like peace and quiet, and the natural surroundings of the countryside. They are more laid back too. Thus you will find more authentic down-to-earth types in small towns and rural areas, and out hiking in nature too.

I think I know why. Artificial people fit in more with artificial environments, whereas authentic people fit in more with nature and natural surroundings -- because nature is more authentic than cities are of course. In general, the bigger the city, the more artificial the people will be, and the smaller the city, the less artificial they will be. Fake, shallow, corrupt personalities do not truly connect with nature, nor with peace and quiet. They find nature to be hollow and small towns to be boring. They can't stand peace and quiet because they have no inner life and do not like to face the ugliness of their soul, so they need constant distractions. They lack the ability to be one with nature or one with the universe.

Does that make sense?
I agree completely. I travel a lot domestically for my job, and the people that I've dealt with in small towns and rural areas have definitely been a lot more laid back and pleasant to deal with. They are simple people and seem very real, whereas city/suburban people tend to be fake, competitive, image/status obsessed, and have a snobby and judgmental vibe to them. Have you noticed all of the big subdivisions out in the suburbs that are full of brick, boxy houses that all look alike? They are fake communities which don't have character, just like the people who live in them.

Also, I've noticed that my coworkers who are fake and image/status obsessed go to Vegas, all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, and cruises which are artificial vacation options. I believe that corporate office workers like cruises because they are similar to corporate office work - having to follow a dress code for certain dinners, having to follow a strict schedule when stopping at ports, and having to attend a safety meeting to prepare for emergency situations. Cruises are also great for gluttonous, obese Americans because they can eat all of the sugary and fattening bland American food that they want. The corporate offices that I've worked in have been full of fat people, so that's something else that attracts them to cruises. I've heard that all-inclusive resorts are similar regarding the all-you-can eat American junk food.

I do have one older female coworker who is very laid back and down to Earth, and she goes on camping trips to beautiful national and state parks. There is nothing pretentious and fake about enjoying natural beauty.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Big Cities vs. Small Towns: Which is friendlier?

Post by Winston »

Have you guys noticed that Hollywood likes to portray small town people as crazy, fanatical, delusional, extremists and violent? In films such as "Deliverance", "Straw Dogs", "Red State" etc? They always portray them as cult-like and extremist and willing to trap and murder outsiders, etc. It's as if the media wants you to stay away from small town America and instead stay in the toxic artificial cities, where people are less happy and socially disconnected and look annoyed/impatient all the time, because the NWO can control you better in the cities and make sure you are indoctrinated with political correctness, so you don't turn violent or join the KKK like the people in the racist South do. lol

Many truthers have noticed that village life was much more healthy than city life, there was social connection and belonging, and good tribal and family values, etc. Whereas city people are alienated and angry and don't understand why, and their environment is toxic and artificial and unnatural.

The movie I mentioned above, The Straight Road, is an exception of course and portrays people in small towns more accurately like they are in real life, at least the older folks. Especially since it's a true story and very accurate.

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Winston wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 11:55 pm
Have you guys noticed that Hollywood likes to portray small town people as crazy, fanatical, delusional, extremists and violent? In films such as "Deliverance", "Straw Dogs", "Red State" etc? They always portray them as cult-like and extremist and willing to trap and murder outsiders, etc. It's as if the media wants you to stay away from small town America and instead stay in the toxic artificial cities, where people are less happy and socially disconnected and look annoyed/impatient all the time, because the NWO can control you better in the cities and make sure you are indoctrinated with political correctness, so you don't turn violent or join the KKK like the people in the racist South do. lol
Well duh. How many Jewish people do you know who live in small towns? Only life among rootless, unconnected cosmopolitans is non-toxic.

Of course, American small towns are not what they used to be, and are often now little but stew pots of pathology. My mother grew up in a town of 600 in Missouri. Back in the '50s and '60s it was what you think of a small town as being. On Saturday night just about everybody would go down to their little one-block "downtown" and socialize. Last time I was there half the stores were boarded up, and I'm guessing about half the houses had meth kitchens.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 11:55 pm

Many truthers have noticed that village life was much more healthy than city life, there was social connection and belonging, and good tribal and family values, etc. Whereas city people are alienated and angry and don't understand why, and their environment is toxic and artificial and unnatural.

The environment in big cities is very toxic both physically and mentally, the environment in small towns is just the opposite.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

From Alex:

You have to watch this bro... this guy talk about how different is the people of the countryside from the people of the city... he says that people living in cities are like zombies

www.tinyurl.com/covid19crimeagainsthumanity

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wanna know something interesting? Rock is unusual. He doesn't have a job in Makati, but he still chooses to live there even though no one wants to live in Manila, not even Filipinos. People only live there when they have no choice or have to work there. So Rock is there by choice, not because he needs to work there. But he has condos there though so he has to manage them there, plus he is on the board of directors at some real estate development company, so he has some obligations there.

However, Rock isn't the typical white guy that wants to get out of the big city to live a quiet peaceful life somewhere serene and beautiful, like the typical down to earth white man. He thinks cities are cool and hip and where things happen, whereas only hicks and bumpkins live in the countryside. His attitude is kind of snobbish and the reverse of how spiritual people see things. Spiritual types prefer being surrounded by nature, peace and quiet, with mountains in the background, or by a lake, etc. That's why meditation retreats and Zen monasteries are in such areas.

Everyone knows and feels that cities are very toxic, artificial and not good for the soul. That's why writers cannot do their best creative work in big cities, because even if you are in a quiet room in the city, like in a fancy apartment or hotel, the vibe is still different, it feels restless and toxic, not still, compared to being in a quiet cabin by the lake or mountain. Meditators feel the same way, so do artists. I'm sure you all know that too. Even in a quiet room in the city, the vibe isn't the same as being in a quiet cabin by the lake or mountain. It affects your creativity flow too. Every artist and writer and meditator can attest to that. But Rock doesn't see things this way. So he is different from other down to earth men in that sense. I don't know why.

The classic Twilight Zone episode "A Stop at Willoughby" exemplifies the typical down to earth white male's desire to live in a simple peaceful quiet small town where people are friendly and everyone knows each other. Here are some clips from it.