What's the scam?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

What's the scam?

Post by gsjackson »

About a couple times a day for the last several weeks I've been getting emails from different scammers saying that they are taking a few hundred dollars out of my bank account for some (phony) charge that I have incurred. And they give a number I should call if I contest these charges. They aren't able to access my bank accounts, so the con involves contacting them, but I can't figure out why. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on with this latest phishing incarnation of the Nigerian prince seeking help in getting his fortune to the U.S.?
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Re: What's the scam?

Post by Voyager1 »

All they need is 1/1000 to respond to those emails, then they have their victim call a toll free number, download remote access software so they can manipulate your computer. After this they will have you login to your bank account, edit the html as though they have deposited money to your account by mistake and you should return it to them either in the form of gift cards or wire transfer.

Usually these scams are run out of India.

There is a guy on YouTube named Kitboga. He is a scam baiter. Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/@KitbogaShow

What he does is call up these scammers and wastes their time so they can not prey on other victims.

Another one is Scammer Payback https://www.youtube.com/@ScammerPayback

I watch these videos all the time. They have busted some call centers mainly in India.

Nigerian scammers do a bit different kind of scams.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Thanks. Great info. Wonder why this approach is so popular right now. Today they were claiming to be Geek Squad, billing me $395 for three years of software security.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

It's a billions $ / year business. The actual telemarketer in India gets only $400/month + bonuses. The bosses get the real money.

They can also have you withdraw cash from your bank (usually $15k or more) then pack it in a box or book and send it to an address in the U.S. They use money mules who take a cut then transfer the funds to India or Thailand.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Voyager1 wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 1:23 pm
It's a billions $ / year business. The actual telemarketer in India gets only $400/month + bonuses. The bosses get the real money.

They can also have you withdraw cash from your bank (usually $15k or more) then pack it in a box or book and send it to an address in the U.S. They use money mules who take a cut then transfer the funds to India or Thailand.
Man I guess those coolies never change. Ripping people off in the West since the email has been invented. I wonder what they think of Karma and Dharma? I hope those c0cksuckers will be reincarnated as an insect for their being low life scumbags.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!