For those who live an unconventional life, how are you treated?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

For those who live an unconventional life, how are you treated?

Post by statnerd »

I'm talking about those of us who choose not to marry, not have kids, move abroad, retire early, or live in other ways than the typical married w/ 2-3 kids, work a corporate cubicle job, watch TV and drink beer, become a fatass, live in a McMansion in the suburbs, retire at 65 lifestyle.

I've gotten comments from people such as "why aren't you married?," "why are you thin?", "buying a house is the American dream", "Moving to SE Asia is dangerous and the locals will target you if you move abroad. Staying in America is safest, but if you insist on moving abroad, move somewhere like Australia or Germany", plus all of the comments about how overseas travel is expensive, Americans are hated all over the world, the food is weird, America is the greatest country on Earth so why would you want to leave, how do you get around not knowing the language?, etc.

A lot of people have a problem with you if you don't follow the sheep herd. BAHHHH BAHHHH...
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: For those who live an unconventional life, how are you treated?

Post by Shemp »

Where do you meet these people? I don't have any friends in the USA, so no one says anything to me.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Post by statnerd »

Shemp wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Where do you meet these people? I don't have any friends in the USA, so no one says anything to me.
Relatives and acquaintances such as work people, neighbors, family friends, etc.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

statnerd wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 3:10 pm
I'm talking about those of us who choose not to marry, not have kids, move abroad, retire early, or live in other ways than the typical married w/ 2-3 kids, work a corporate cubicle job, watch TV and drink beer, become a fatass, live in a McMansion in the suburbs, retire at 65 lifestyle.

I've gotten comments from people such as "why aren't you married?," "why are you thin?", "buying a house is the American dream", "Moving to SE Asia is dangerous and the locals will target you if you move abroad. Staying in America is safest, but if you insist on moving abroad, move somewhere like Australia or Germany", plus all of the comments about how overseas travel is expensive, Americans are hated all over the world, the food is weird, America is the greatest country on Earth so why would you want to leave, how do you get around not knowing the language?, etc.

A lot of people have a problem with you if you don't follow the sheep herd. BAHHHH BAHHHH...
Your impressions on this issue is spot on! But to answer your question, before I embarked on the F.I.R.E. (Financially-independent, early-retired) lifestyle, I got a lot of side-eye, second-guessing, and toxic hate from colleagues who seemed invested to see me fail so as to validate their own choices. Once it became clear I was succeeding, they quietly came to realize that my plan was for real but they retained skepticism.

But I have received nothing but jaw-dropping awe when I respond to certain questions accordingly:

They: So what do you do for work?
Me: What makes you think I have to work? Work is for people who HAVE to do so.

They: Why haven't you married?
Me: Marriage doesn't make any sense for men who reach a certain level of wealth. I ENJOY life in ways married men just can't.

They: Why on earth would you want to live in Eastern Europe?
Me: I live in Eastern Europe because I enjoy a higher quality of life there than I could ever have in the West.

They: Isn't Eastern Europe dangerous for black people?
Me: America is far more unsafe for black people than Eastern Europe statistically-speaking. People observe respectful distance instead of intrusive interactions like in America.

They: How do people treat you in Eastern Europe?
Me: I generally get treated as a guest and with much more respect than in America. People are more friendly there and they are curious as to why I chose to live in their country.

They: Why don't you at least buy some homes in America?
Me: The home buying industry is a scam on the American public and billions upon billions of dollars are bilked from homeowners in local property taxes, and mortgage interest. And in America one never truly owns his home because of he stops paying the mortgage and or property taxes, the homes gets seized and sold. It is much smarter to rent a dream home and just invest in commercial real estate either directly or in a REIT.

So the thing is to state how you are different and then state how much better you have it because you deviated from "the sheeple's" dictates. But don't expect any respect for deviating until you start actually living your contrarian (no pun intended) truth.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

I've made two decisions that help in matters like this one. First, I don't bother having a conversation with most people other than to say hello or absolutely essential matters. And second, I don't discuss my personal values, opinions, hopes, dreams, wishes, fears, loves, or desires with anyone. I only say what needs to be said, and then I try to keep quiet, and I have little interest in friendship.

Also, for the advisors who aren't malicious, many of them are just repeating things they've heard someone else say, which usually doesn't amount to much.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

statnerd wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 3:10 pm

A great deal of people in America have the "herd" mentality and don't like people who do things differently than they do. Conformity is real big in the USA and those who don't conform are seen as "freaks."
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."