The Ongoing Chinese Trade War

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
tom
Junior Poster

The Ongoing Chinese Trade War

Post by tom »

What we already know about the one sided trade, protectionist legal system in China, we have been in a trade war for a while, that's no surprise. This has been tested too many times by all the major techs and a very long list of small businesses, all have been cheated by the Chinese system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_ ... land_China

Where China has come from, in some sense these issues are a continuation of the way China has been operating for centuries.

A realignment with China is long overdue.
משה בן יצחק
Neo
Junior Poster

Re: The Ongoing Chinese Trade War

Post by Neo »

Does it work this way? Someone correct me. When tariffs are placed, the manufacturer or importer or whoever passes the cost of it onto the consumer, who happen to be US citizens. However, it is still an effective means for the president, because that then discourages the purchase of goods that are subject to tariffs. That means the other country is able to sell less goods here in the USA, resulting in decreased revenue, which ultimately effects their (foreign) country. And that gives the president bargaining power.

Is this how it works?

Because I see that certain men are against tariffs because of the increased cost to US consumers, but it seems to me that perhaps they are missing the point.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

The truth is we have been in a trade war with China. China has imposed very high tariffs for decades. If that is not enough they use extra legal means to make it impossible for any outside company have a durable success inside of China. It's already well beyond tariffs. China has been pushing out well beyond it's borders. It's ultimately going to be a shooting war.

Probability of war with China goes up very significantly about 4 years after Trump's second term. A contributing catalyst for this would be a manifestly weak indecisive and or uninterested US. Then add a significantly more well armed and belligerent China.

Today and in the future news from the outside world does not get into China, the average Chinese only knows their own superiority over all else bullshit. The trigger that will get pulled is the Chinese glass heart combined with it's mindless reactionary nationalism. For dissenters like an AOC, they get sent to the Gobi Desert and learn how to sing songs about China and Xi.
Last edited by tom on August 11th, 2019, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
משה בן יצחק
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

tom wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm
The truth is we have been in a trade war with China. China has imposed very high tariffs for decades. If that is not enough they use extra legal means to make it impossible for any outside company have a durable success inside of China. It's already well beyond tariffs.
Nice explanation. We were already in a trade war, but only China was actually shooting before Trump. I am not versed enough in economics to know how this benefits us economically, but if we are able to forge new trading partners until China screams "When!," it will have been a success.
tom wrote: Probability of war with China goes up very significantly about 4 years after Trump's second term.
I don't agree with you here. I think the trade war and a military conflict with China are two separate animals. While a conflict with China is possible, we had better wait until China is so economically weakened that the victory scales tip in our favor. I personally fear if China teams up with Russia and Iran. That would be a very difficult adversary to overcome. I think this is why the US is bolstering the military capabilities of allies like Israel, Georgia, Poland, the Baltics et cetera. This would be a new world war, not one between just USA and China.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

The alliances are always shifting, it is hard to predict who will double crosses who and where they may end up in the future. Russia looks the most likely to endure but you never know. Iran is very likely going to fundamentally change and China is aggressively persecuting it's Muslin population, that alliance seems to be a bit more fragile. China is claiming the resources in the South China Sea of Vietnam, Philippines, Taiwan and Japan. China is pushing India around and there is an ongoing arms/defense race between them.

In a decade China will likely have a much more significant navy, right now they do not have much. It's not a WW2 scenario, it will be quite different. The weaker parties are usually the ones who through the first punch.

משה בן יצחק
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

It seems to me the Trump gang is trying to re-establish the US Constitution. The Federal government is supposed to be operating by laying taxes on imports not borrowing money from a foreign bank and driving the country in debt which has caused it to be parted out to the communist which has been centered in the CITI since it's inception. Also our " the US " trade deficeits needs to be balanced and all these moves are trying to head us in that direction...

All roads go back to the the CITI, they set this gig up world wide.
Time to Hide!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I don't think war with the paper tiger is inevitable. I see a decade of China too wrapped up with its own problems.

I think the Saudis are a bigger problem. A major rebel attack on Mecca or their capital - or Dubai - could destabilise their regime. And it's likely oil will go to $20 before it goes to $100 again so they're going to have problems balancing the books. Who needs oil? By 2050 (or much earlier) I heard we Brits could be 100% powered by renewables. Sure, wind is not always reliable but I reckon they will find ways of getting people to store energy when it's cheap. We did after all do this to heat our homes in the 70's (Economy 7 night storage heaters).

Closer to home though Brexit could well turn ugly. The silent majority won't stay silent forever.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Stranton
Freshman Poster

Post by Stranton »

Read some analytics about it. They say that American companies lose more than Chinese ones because of this war. I guess that soon it will end. Up to 6 months.