Sorry, haven't posted in a while. I am in Cambodia now!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Sorry, haven't posted in a while. I am in Cambodia now!

Post by ladislav »

Guys, I've not been posting on this board for a couple of years. I was mainly busy on FB, and found posting there easier.

Anyway, to catch up. In 2015, I left Ohio and went to Saudi. Went to Ukraine from there to get residency. Had to pay a lawyer $1000. Then, I hung out there for a while, went back to Saudi and did another contract but things began going sour. Jobs have dried up and salaries went down. My employed laid me off and the new one was not able to get me a visa. The old one got angry that I was still in Saudi on his visa and put a travel ban on me. I got stuck in the country for seven weeks, unable to leave. Eventually, I had to pay a fine, and left. Went to Ukraine, then the Philippines again, and then I found a job in Cambodia. Now, I am in Phnom Penh. Been here for 2.5 months.

Don't believe the bullsh-t propaganda by these NGOs that portray this country as desperately poor with kids begging. It appears to be very modern, with good infrastructure, excellent food and just beautiful everything. Good internet, good services and just a very pleasant place overall. It looks way more developed than the Philippines. To me, it's on par with Malaysia.

But it's expensive. I am making 2K a month but nothing is left in terms of savings. So, I am just biding my time until such a day when things get better.

The female scene is as follows: very old fashioned, and the locals don't speak English. No looks, even furtive ones, or flirting. It's a very conservative culture overall. Think India. There's very little dating going on. You see girls in groups and guys in groups. There is a red light district, but much more subdued than in the PH/ Thailand. No dancing, mostly beer bars and girls sitting with you as hostesses. Some cute ones, but no English. You just use google translate.

The people are very private and look closed, kind of like the Japanese. Very little eye contact, no staring except by some kids. Totally incomparable with the Thais who are way more open but who also can be way more hostile to Westerners and way more ill mannered. The Khmers are very shy, unemotional and subdued. The smiles are Asian smiles- they are just like masks. But at the same time, they are way more cultured, well behaved, without the wild, barbaric conduct that one finds in Thailand. Way more honest, way fewer rip offs, way more integrity. Cambodia is an ancient civilization with an incredibly deep culture and millennia old traditions. France was here and left. It just bequeathed some great architecture and frogs, snails, chestnuts and baguettes. You sometimes here French spoken on the streets.

Westerners are treated with no hostility, but there is no warm welcome, either. No smiles as in the Philippines. Just indifference. You are just left alone to do your own thing. Like you kind of belong here. They are used to seeing Western people since the French, and they think that every white person is another Frenchman. Black people evoke curiosity, and people want to take pictures with them.

Khmers are busy and work very hard. No one has even a second of free time. Unlike in the PH where you have people hanging out, there is not much of it here. These are Orientals thru and thru.

Some 10% of Phnom Penh are expats, so you have like 10 times more of them per head than in Manila. You see white and other foreign people everywhere.

Anyway, I guess I am here on some kind of mission, and time will show what treasures this place holds.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
redfeather
Freshman Poster

Re: Sorry, haven't been posting for a while. I am in Cambodia!

Post by redfeather »

Thanks for the update. I know another guy that just left the Philippines for VN, so I am waiting to here a report from him. What facebook group do you post in? I am interested in your comparison between the Philippines and VN. Thanks for the post.
Retired Army Colonel (Combat Arms)
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Welcome back. You may have noticed some other members, like Ghost and MarcosZeitola and me (formerly RetiredFrank), were also away for long periods, but we eventually were drawn back. (CornFed never leaves, of course.) This is my favorite forum, of those forums related to traveling or living abroad and relationships with foreign women.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I am on the FB HA forum. I thought all of us were gonna move there because it's easier to post. Apparently, people still prefer posting here.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Very nice! I'd love to visit. Especially when you say this:
ladislav wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 7:54 am
Way more honest, way fewer rip offs, way more integrity.
Because that sort of thing really pisses me off about Thailand.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:
So am I right in thinking that this picture is taken from the Wat Phnom looking south, with that X-shaped building being the perhaps former Central Market? If so I think it's a shame. PP certainly could have used some improvement, but it is a shame it appears to have become just another Globo-homo urban sprawl.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Cornfed wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 11:41 pm
ladislav wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 9:36 am
I am on the FB HA forum. I thought all of us were gonna move there because it's easier to post. Apparently, people still prefer posting here.
What's so hard about posting here and why should we want to submit ourselves to Faceberg censorship and surveillance?
Exactly. I have a profile there, with exactly 1 photo of myself (non-smiling) and nothing else, just so I can participate in certain private groups regarding some hobbies of mine, but if I could avoid Fakebook altogether, I would do so. It's a monstrosity.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I need to post images somewhere, and only then post their URL here. Too much work and too time intensive.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

flowerthief00 wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 11:33 pm
Very nice! I'd love to visit. Especially when you say this:
ladislav wrote:
Way more honest, way fewer rip offs, way more integrity.
Because that sort of thing really pisses me off about Thailand.
This is a very old culture, very mature with many horrible lessons learned. Thais are young, immature and spoiled. Kind of low IQ.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Streets are all very nice here. Lined up with trees, everything is new and sparkling. Does not look so good from above, but quite nice below.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

This is a drive thru PP

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 3:53 am
This is a drive thru PP

So it's been completely transformed into expensive globo-homo since I lived there. Makes me want to slit my wrists.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

ladislav wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 4:45 am
This is a very old culture, very mature with many horrible lessons learned. Thais are young, immature and spoiled. Kind of low IQ.
It's not very hard to be higher quality than the Thai.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

Imagine still believing the myth that IQ is the end-all (and only kind) of intelligence and intellectual ability. Sigh. Anyway, Cambodia has a certain appeal. This appeal is that it is more off the beaten path (Thailand, PH, and Northeast Asia). I certainly haven't yet been, but it's definitely a place I'd like to visit and see what it has to offer.

@ladislav, are you able to explain how your current job allows you to travel and live there, just for the 1% of us actually planning on going overseas?
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Imagine still believing the myth that IQ is the end-all (and only kind) of intelligence and intellectual ability. Sigh.
Let me put it differently then. In Thailand, one sees a lot of dumb, cruel, uncultured, barbaric and also punk-like people. Lots of angry, lowbrow, boorish and truly stupid lowlife behavior.

When in Cambodia, you see 0.1 percent of the above. Way more refined people with more daily wisdom, proper behavior and cultured-ness. An older civilization with a French twist.

But back to your question:

I have an MA in TESL and I am teaching here in Srok Khmer. Also, before, I had ESL teaching jobs in the Middle East where I could save a bit of money and also have long vacations.

A faster way is to have a BA of any kind and get a CELTA certificate. Takes a month or two. Then you can start teaching ESL and working/traveling.