For anyone that knows about studying abroad:

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

For anyone that knows about studying abroad:

Post by Wolfeye »

I'm potentially going to Hungary for school this September & they mentioned needing English qualifications (it's a course on Hungarian language, culture, history, etc). I have a high school diploma from an English-speaking country, but I don't know if that covers the stuff they were mentioning (IELTS, TOEFL, some different Cambridge stuff). Where does someone take these tests? When they show up? What's on them?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: For anyone that knows about studying abroad:

Post by Cornfed »

Wolfeye wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 12:16 am
I'm potentially going to Hungary for school this September & they mentioned needing English qualifications (it's a course on Hungarian language, culture, history, etc). I have a high school diploma from an English-speaking country, but I don't know if that covers the stuff they were mentioning (IELTS, TOEFL, some different Cambridge stuff). Where does someone take these tests? When they show up? What's on them?
Hopefully I’m not being an April fool again. Of course a high school education doesn’t cover that. IELTS is basically a system for ranking non-native English speakers on their ability to speak English, so you probably don’t have to worry about that. TOESL/CELTA etc. are courses on how to teach English lasting about a month which can be quite hard and are definitely not assumed to be part of high school.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Why don't you inquire and ask them specifically what exactly they need? You don't want to get the wrong thing which won't help and waste time.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I actually heard back from them today & they said I don't need to worry about the English certification! So that's good.

I've got most of the questions I had out of the way (ex: if I can get a refund if the student visa doesn't go through for some reason, about if they help with finding work & a place to stay, how long the enrollment takes so it's not past the deadline), but if you guys can think of any possible issues that might come up, please put them out there.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I studied abroad twice in university and I can tell you that you are in for a life changing experience.

I will again be studying abroad this coming summer as a retiree to study Advanced Russian Language. These summer sessions give a lifetime of memories, intellectual vigor, and a huge bevy of young women eager to learn about you and your sexual prowess.

I highly recommend it.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Contrarian Expatriate: Sounds excellent! I would like to ask something (so anyone that knows, please feel free to add): How do I navigate whether it's a relationship or not? I actually would like to find someone in a long-term sense, not that a fling would be UNwelcome (of course). I'm somewhat new to this type of situation, so any advice would be appreciated. I can flow with things & be situational without much issue, but the nuances to romance have managed to elude me a bit.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I studied abroad when I did my CELTA. I lived in Barcelona which was awesome. I'd love to study in New York at some point. Or work there, but maybe studying is better.

Now I'm working abroad which is... I'm not sure. I really like teaching, but China's not an easy place to live as quality of life is pretty low on peoples' agenda there.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Wolfeye wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 12:55 am
Contrarian Expatriate: Sounds excellent! I would like to ask something (so anyone that knows, please feel free to add): How do I navigate whether it's a relationship or not? I actually would like to find someone in a long-term sense, not that a fling would be UNwelcome (of course). I'm somewhat new to this type of situation, so any advice would be appreciated. I can flow with things & be situational without much issue, but the nuances to romance have managed to elude me a bit.
Being a male, the lack of confirmation that it is a relationship works in your favor. Girls get freaked out and turned off by guys who are too quick to make the relationship official so just go with what they give you.

I personally think that a young man like yourself should remain free of that lockdown and only when you want to have kids (if you do) should you move for more a permanent status. Just date women and if you want to be exclusive, let them start pushing for that. For you to do that lowers your value to a beta.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Thanks, that helps a lot!