The midterm elections

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The midterm elections

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 8:22 pm
GuyAbroad8293 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:42 pm
Repubs/Dems are two sides of the same coin.
You keep saying that and I keep explaining why it is currently not the case.
Yes, but his point is that what once, in a sane society, would have been the occasion for banter is now cause for the heaping of moral opprobrium and shame upon the offender.

Oops, wrong thread. Will put it in right one.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Once again America people. The time is coming. Get ready. Take anyone you can. Vote a straight Republican ticket. Yes the repugs are sellout cucks who will hopefully be up against a wall in due course, but voting for them is the right thing to do this time.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 4:19 am
Once again America people. The time is coming. Get ready. Take anyone you can. Vote a straight Republican ticket. Yes the repugs are sellout cucks who will hopefully be up against a wall in due course, but voting for them is the right thing to do this time.
I'm going to have to swallow hard to vote for the Repug in the Arizona Senate race. And Zio-nimrod Ted Cruz is the Repug candidate in Texas. I'm afraid they're both going to lose, and there goes the Senate. It's hard to deny the surface appeal of abandoning what CE called the "quixotic" quest to "save America."

But the struggle is an international one. You want to retreat to Ukraine? As soon as the empire took over that country in 2014, it was declared a GMO-safe zone, and now the fields of Europe's "bread basket" just glow with toxins. I suppose Asia is the closest thing to a safe harbor right now, if your taste runs to humidity and little brown women.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 4:19 am
Corn, comment number three (long -- 3900 words; read the comment don't bother with the article) is the best justification of nationalism I have read. If it weren't so prolix I'd think you wrote it.

https://www.unz.com/article/bolsonaro-a ... our-media/
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Once again, don't forget to vote Republican all the way. This time they really are the lesser evil.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Yay, the repugs won the senate. Good on you guys.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Cornfed wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 8:50 pm
They are projected to lose the house by 25 to 35 seats, which means the Dems can harass Trump.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Neo wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 8:52 pm
Cornfed wrote:
They are projected to lose the house by 25 to 35 seats, which means the Dems can harass Trump.
The "projections" are just media vote suppression tactics. We'll see what happens. It would be very unfortunate if the Dems got control of those House committees, which lately have been investigating people like Comey. But as long as Repugs control the Senate there will be no running Trump out of office, and maybe some ore good SCOTUS appointees.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We'll see.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Cornfed wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:09 pm
Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We'll see.
Right now they're up 202 to 185.

I can't even believe people wouldn't keep them out.

I know Donald Trump is only one man, but I wish someone had campaigned for the House candidates as much as Trump did for the Senate candidates.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Neo wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Cornfed wrote:
Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We'll see.

I know Donald Trump is only one man, but I wish someone had campaigned for the House candidates as much as Trump did for the Senate candidates.
The House does not matter nearly as much. Sure, they can block legislation but the real power is in the Senate because:

1. It takes conviction by the Senate to actually remove a President. Trump will not be removed from office now even though the House will likely impeach him for the drama of it.

2. Now Trump's picks for the Supreme Court will have easier confirmation in the Senate. Ginsburg and Breyer might go, and Thomas could retire early just to give Trump yet another conservative for a grand total of 5 Trump appointees!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

So the Communists took the House. We all know what that means, right?
LFL
Freshman Poster

Post by LFL »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 1:45 am
Neo wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Cornfed wrote:
Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We'll see.

The House does not matter nearly as much. Sure, they can block legislation but the real power is in the Senate because:

1. It takes conviction by the Senate to actually remove a President. Trump will not be removed from office now even though the House will likely impeach him for the drama of it.

2. Now Trump's picks for the Supreme Court will have easier confirmation in the Senate. Ginsburg and Breyer might go, and Thomas could retire early just to give Trump yet another conservative for a grand total of 5 Trump appointees!
It's not just the Supreme Court. It's all the federal courts. And now that Repubs have picked up a larger majority, they can appoint judges that are even more conservative because they have more cushion. Kavanaugh was difficult because there was so little cushion. Dems keeping the House was expected, and it might even be better than they gained so many seats because it makes it more likely Crazy Pelosi will be speaker, and that will probably help Repubs in 2020.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Okay, Rush Limbaugh mentioned today, that somewhere between 40 to 45 Republican House members retired this term. He thinks that is the real reason why Republicans lost the House. If it had not been for that, he believes the Republicans would still have control of the House. Apparently incumbents have a 98% re-election rate.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Neo wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 2:49 pm
Okay, Rush Limbaugh mentioned today, that somewhere between 40 to 45 Republican House members retired this term. He thinks that is the real reason why Republicans lost the House. If it had not been for that, he believes the Republicans would still have control of the House. Apparently incumbents have a 98% re-election rate.
Yes, this is actually a win for the Trumpers and a vindication of right-wing activists.