What's up with architecture?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

What's up with architecture?

Post by Wolfeye »

I was wondering what the deal is with it? Why does it have such an effect & what changed in the modern era? I remember hearing on Paul Joseph Watson (Why Modern Architecture Sucks on youtube) that it was actually from Germany. Yeah, that Germany. Seriously, that place causes nearly nothing but problems.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What's up with architecture?

Post by gsjackson »

I recommend 'From Bauhaus to Our House' by Tom Wolfe. Explains why all these beautiful old European city centers are ringed by some of the ugliest buildings ever constructed. Take a train out of the center of Paris for a dramatic illustration. And yeah, the Bauhaus was in Germany.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

I like the architecture/cityscapes in Manila. The stark juxtaposition of crumbling derelict buildings against futuristic storefronts of an ambiguous nature reminds me of Bladerunner or something.

options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Thanks, Ill look into that!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

In modern culture, everything changed and became horrible. Architecture is no different than anything else.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

fschmidt wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 5:04 pm
In modern culture, everything changed and became horrible. Architecture is no different than anything else.
I don't think, modern architecture is so horrible - it depends - it's about more or less how you see it.

I was growing up in a so-called old beautiful house in Continental Europe, constructed around 1650.

In the old house living was extremely inconvenient, with insufficient plombing, water frozen during winter time, no warm water, poor electricity supply, no phone lines, high rooms difficult for heating, roof and walls in poor condition, toilets shared and outside of your private rooms - no parking space of course etc. etc. - I can only say, old buildings are very very inconvenient for living,

Living in this old house was a horror and I was very happy when I was grown up and could save some money to move into a modern new built house, concrete is not beautiful from outside, but I did not care. From one day to the other my life became comfortable.
All what I was missing was suddenly available...

I don't care if old structures in cities are totally removed as they are also dangerous for people inside, they are of poor static and any serious earthquake or flood might damage them beyond repairing.

Latin America is a good example...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pictur ... l?image=15
Chile earthquake: latest pictures show the extent of the damage caused by the quake and tsunami
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Where I am at in FL it is crap, all the new stuff here looks the same is cheaply made and is designed to be bull dozed in say 20 years...
Time to Hide!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Moretorque wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm
Where I am at in FL it is crap, all the new stuff here looks the same is cheaply made and is designed to be bull dozed in say 20 years...
You could argue that makes sense given that blacks are likely to be moved into the neighborhood by then.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yohan wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 9:10 pm
fschmidt wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 5:04 pm
I don't think, modern architecture is so horrible - it depends - it's about more or less how you see it.

I was growing up in a so-called old beautiful house in Continental Europe, constructed around 1650.

In the old house living was extremely inconvenient, with insufficient plombing, water frozen during winter time, no warm water, poor electricity supply, no phone lines, high rooms difficult for heating, roof and walls in poor condition, toilets shared and outside of your private rooms - no parking space of course etc. etc. - I can only say, old buildings are very very inconvenient for living,

Living in this old house was a horror and I was very happy when I was grown up and could save some money to move into a modern new built house, concrete is not beautiful from outside, but I did not care. From one day to the other my life became comfortable.
All what I was missing was suddenly available...

I don't care if old structures in cities are totally removed as they are also dangerous for people inside, they are of poor static and any serious earthquake or flood might damage them beyond repairing.

Latin America is a good example...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pictur ... l?image=15
Chile earthquake: latest pictures show the extent of the damage caused by the quake and tsunami
You can make buildings and communities attractive on the outside, following traditional guidelines from Greek and Roman times when beauty was an object to be pursued, and still have them be functionally modern on the inside. One of the big points of modernist architecture was deliberate ugliness in order to promote egalitarianism. 'You want ornamentation, attractive colors and such in order to stand out?' No, no, no. It was about making us all the same, and therefore easier to control.