Strangers, friends once were, and to strangers they return.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Strangers, friends once were, and to strangers they return.

Post by Mercury »

It happens all the time in America. For example, you have a favorite bartender, you see her every week or so. She adds you on Facebook. But then one day you go to your favorite tavern and she is not there anymore. You check her Facebook page and see that she is now a receptionist at a dental office. And you know that it's illegal under Federal law in the United States to visit a receptionist on the job, and if you go visit her, reportedly it's 135 years to life in Federal prison.

You come to realize that the only way to see her at all is to plan a get together, go out for lunch or to a movie with her, or something. You post your realization on Facebook. But then an hour later, you look for her and her Facebook is gone! You go to your secondary account, look her up, and she shows up in your search results. And then you have the picture. Your favorite bartender has blocked you from her Facebook. She wants nothing to do with you anymore, she doesn't want to see you even 60 years from now, you even run into her at a grocery store, say "Hi (so & so), long time no see" and she distances herself, runs away, and even tells you to leave her alone. Or she even walks away from you and has store security come up to you and tell you to leave her alone. And now you are wishing she would move to the other side of the country.

It's really scary how one could be friends with you for a time, and then promptly return to being total strangers.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Strangers, friends once were, and to strangers they return.

Post by Adama »

I think FB is more about their personal stardom and fame; they have many fans, or friends, as they call them. Try sending them a private message, and they will not bother answering. They are too important.

I don't expect anything from people anymore. Besides that, oftentimes, the people I thought were my friends were the same ones gossiping, spreading rumors and backstabbing.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

Adama wrote:
April 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm
I think FB is more about their personal stardom and fame; they have many fans, or friends, as they call them. Try sending them a private message, and they will not bother answering. They are too important.

I don't expect anything from people anymore. Besides that, oftentimes, the people I thought were my friends were the same ones gossiping, spreading rumors and backstabbing.
It's actually more the fact that, just like Winston says, in America, friendships are superficial and fleeting, mostly just a façade. AKA you look at the façade from the front and it almost looks like there's a building behind it. But walk around the side of it and you see it for what it is; a vertical wall with only open air behind it. No roof, no side or back walls, nothing. And even flimsy enough that a wind gust of even 30 miles an hour can just knock it right over.

And believe it or not, very few if any other places in America see more fake and fleeting friendships like that than Florida. One night you can meet someone, they add you on Facebook, but then not only do they not reply when you message them, but they delete/block you even the next day, again like getting friendly with strangers is a capital felony under Federal law in the United States of America.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Making friends with (cultural) Americans is a complete waste of time.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Mercury wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Adama wrote:
April 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm

It's actually more the fact that, just like Winston says, in America, friendships are superficial and fleeting, mostly just a façade. AKA you look at the façade from the front and it almost looks like there's a building behind it. But walk around the side of it and you see it for what it is; a vertical wall with only open air behind it. No roof, no side or back walls, nothing. And even flimsy enough that a wind gust of even 30 miles an hour can just knock it right over.

And believe it or not, very few if any other places in America see more fake and fleeting friendships like that than Florida. One night you can meet someone, they add you on Facebook, but then not only do they not reply when you message them, but they delete/block you even the next day, again like getting friendly with strangers is a capital felony under Federal law in the United States of America.
Vanity and false friendship. Then why bother? I actually agree with FSchmidt. Mostly it is a waste of time. It seems to me that most people have abased themselves down to seeking opportunities to back stab and gossip. Somehow it makes them feel better and superior.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

For example...

Is this your personal story..?
Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
Become An Agent of Choas.

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Mercury wrote:
April 12th, 2018, 11:39 am
It happens all the time in America. For example, you have a favorite bartender, you see her every week or so. She adds you on Facebook. But then one day you go to your favorite tavern and she is not there anymore. You check her Facebook page and see that she is now a receptionist at a dental office. And you know that it's illegal under Federal law in the United States to visit a receptionist on the job, and if you go visit her, reportedly it's 135 years to life in Federal prison.

You come to realize that the only way to see her at all is to plan a get together, go out for lunch or to a movie with her, or something. You post your realization on Facebook. But then an hour later, you look for her and her Facebook is gone! You go to your secondary account, look her up, and she shows up in your search results. And then you have the picture. Your favorite bartender has blocked you from her Facebook. She wants nothing to do with you anymore, she doesn't want to see you even 60 years from now, you even run into her at a grocery store, say "Hi (so & so), long time no see" and she distances herself, runs away, and even tells you to leave her alone. Or she even walks away from you and has store security come up to you and tell you to leave her alone. And now you are wishing she would move to the other side of the country.

It's really scary how one could be friends with you for a time, and then promptly return to being total strangers.
If a person starts hanging out with you then you can deem it as a potential friendship. Otherwise that person you have amiable conversations within the same setting should be classed as an acquaintance. I've learnt this from experience.

Learn to differentiate between friend and acquaintance and things will become more simpler.

As for the bartender, she was doing her job which should include being pleasant to people. Never read too much into this when you're communicating with someone in a position that is customer orientated.

If you're looking for something more than friendship learn to read the signs. Being added as a 'friend' on crap like Facebook and engaging in polite conversation isn't necessarily one of them.
mamluke13
Freshman Poster

Post by mamluke13 »

I wonder why people are like that is it a mental disorder
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »