Winston Interviews Eurobrat, Expat in Europe and Italy

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Winston Interviews Eurobrat, Expat in Europe and Italy

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Hi all,
I just did a podcast interview with Eurobrat about his experiences in Italy and Germany. And at his suggestion, I put Italian folk music in it too. Check it out. Hope you all find it interesting and informative.

http://www.happierabroad.com/podcasts/E ... erview.mp3

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Euro, I hope you've now closed your circle of hate towards Italy and can move on.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

publicduende wrote:Euro, I hope you've now closed your circle of hate towards Italy and can move on.
I'm choking on my schnitzel now as I read this.

I must warn the world of everything that's going on down there and the atrocities against foreigners. All Americans visiting Italy you have been warned...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:
publicduende wrote:Euro, I hope you've now closed your circle of hate towards Italy and can move on.
I'm choking on my schnitzel now as I read this.

I must warn the world of everything that's going on down there and the atrocities against foreigners. All Americans visiting Italy you have been warned...
Apparently not. You're hopeless...
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Obviously, the famous T.S. Eliot line comes to mind -- we shall not cease from exploring, and at the end of our explorations we will arrive at home, and know it for the first time (something like that). But let me make clear what I am and am not saying.

This is not a repudiation of any of the cultural critique of the U.S. that takes place here, and not an endorsement of any particular place in the United States in 2014. It is an embrace of the life I was given by my parents and by American culture decades ago, too long ago for any but a handful on here to have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm going to try to find the place where it is easiest to live the values of that inheritance. I know this is terribly unclear, and doesn't constitute an actionable perspective. If anything, I guess it would be this: figure out who you are, what you value, and chart your own course to get there. People on forums like this may be in the same big boat heading away from cultural configurations that aren't working, but they aren't necessarily bound for the same destinations you are. You've got to figure out the destination for yourself.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

gsjackson wrote:My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Obviously, the famous T.S. Eliot line comes to mind -- we shall not cease from exploring, and at the end of our explorations we will arrive at home, and know it for the first time (something like that). But let me make clear what I am and am not saying.

This is not a repudiation of any of the cultural critique of the U.S. that takes place here, and not an endorsement of any particular place in the United States in 2014. It is an embrace of the life I was given by my parents and by American culture decades ago, too long ago for any but a handful on here to have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm going to try to find the place where it is easiest to live the values of that inheritance. I know this is terribly unclear, and doesn't constitute an actionable perspective. If anything, I guess it would be this: figure out who you are, what you value, and chart your own course to get there. People on forums like this may be in the same big boat heading away from cultural configurations that aren't working, but they aren't necessarily bound for the same destinations you are. You've got to figure out the destination for yourself.
Well said, but when you listen to others on this forum *cough* Public Duende *cough* and take their advice in trying a country out only to find yourself in a more horrific social situation then the one you left, it really makes you question the motives of people like him and what fantasy candy land each person has about each culture, people or country in their head.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
Do you want to put up our interview on YouTube, or should I do it? What title should we use for it?

The thing is, I didn't divide it into parts like what you wanted, because when I upload it to YouTube, I could upload it as one piece rather than as several parts, which is more of a pain. So you gotta take all that into account.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Eurobrat,
Do you want to put up our interview on YouTube, or should I do it? What title should we use for it?

The thing is, I didn't divide it into parts like what you wanted, because when I upload it to YouTube, I could upload it as one piece rather than as several parts, which is more of a pain. So you gotta take all that into account.
I would have still done it, youtube is easy to upload to it's all drag and drop. Label it "Why Italy is a bad place to live & why you're better off in Germany".
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

eurobrat wrote:
gsjackson wrote:My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Well said, but when you listen to others on this forum *cough* Public Duende *cough* and take their advice in trying a country out only to find yourself in a more horrific social situation then the one you left, it really makes you question the motives of people like him and what fantasy candy land each person has about each culture, people or country in their head.
Last edited by The on September 4th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

The wrote:You have to ask that moron Public Duende why HE'S NOT living in Italy then and instead lives in the UK?
What do you think the reason is, Einstein? I moved there for a Masters in 1998 and stayed here to work. Do you want it more schematic?

UK - pros
1) A $1000 a day job

Italy - pros
1) Family
2) Friends
3) Food
4) Weather
5) Better, warmer and more sociable people
6) Cultural affinity
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

eurobrat wrote:Well said, but when you listen to others on this forum *cough* Public Duende *cough* and take their advice in trying a country out only to find yourself in a more horrific social situation then the one you left, it really makes you question the motives of people like him and what fantasy candy land each person has about each culture, people or country in their head.
www.miserableanywhere.com

No joke, I registered it a few months ago, after yet another one of your inspiring conversations. Nuff said...
AnonA2
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonA2 »

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Well said, but when you listen to others on this forum *cough* Public Duende *cough* and take their advice in trying a country out only to find yourself in a more horrific social situation then the one you left, it really makes you question the motives of people like him and what fantasy candy land each person has about each culture, people or country in their head.
www.miserableanywhere.com

No joke, I registered it a few months ago, after yet another one of your inspiring conversations. Nuff said...
We should register for you this:

secretanglolover.com
When in doubt, ask.
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

After reading the Italy Expat Report from eurobrat, I must apolgize to Publicduende for my previous post calkling you a moron...

Man my opinion of eurobrat has changed after reading that thread and its a conversation that eurobrat wont stop replying too...He also comes off as an ungrateful little brat cause he couldn't get any in Italy...
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

The wrote:After reading the Italy Expat Report from eurobrat, I must apolgize to Publicduende for my previous post calkling you a moron...

Man my opinion of eurobrat has changed after reading that thread and its a conversation that eurobrat wont stop replying too...He also comes off as an ungrateful little brat cause he couldn't get any in Italy...
It was just Italy in general as a place to settle. And much more than "getting any" I couldn't create a social circle or even find people to talk to. It's not a friendly place you could just expat to as I once thought unfortunately.
AnonA2
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonA2 »

The wrote:After reading the Italy Expat Report from eurobrat, I must apolgize to Publicduende for my previous post calkling you a moron...

Publicduende didn't even have to look and reply on the threads yet he went in knowing what was going to happen. Don't think he didn't think about. Publicduende tried all measures to get EB to not go to Germany. Ask EB on that.

This is more so PublicDuende being angry that he chose Germany over staying in Italy or going to London.
When in doubt, ask.