Living in Asian Suburbs of LA

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Living in Asian Suburbs of LA

Post by dreamer82 »

I'm considering living in Monterey Park or a nearby area and I'm Caucasian. I've always liked Chinese culture and women but is this a good idea? Do white people get bad vibes from the locals? It seems like a good place since it's near downtown and job opportunities. Is it safe and are there Asian gangs that target white guys? I've always gotten along with Chinese people.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: Living in Asian Suburbs of LA

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

dreamer82 wrote:I'm considering living in Monterey Park or a nearby area and I'm Caucasian. I've always liked Chinese culture and women but is this a good idea? Do white people get bad vibes from the locals? It seems like a good place since it's near downtown and job opportunities. Is it safe and are there Asian gangs that target white guys? I've always gotten along with Chinese people.
I know Asian gangs are around L.A., but they're not like Hispanic or black gangs who are highly visible.

I use to live out that way, and if I were you, and you want to live around Asian people, you should move to Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, Walnut, or Hacienda Heights. These are all safe and clean areas.

Monterey Park is to close too El Monte which is an area that I was told to say away from.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Take a look at Alhambra. I used to live there and saw lots of Chinese people there, Chinese restaurants and businesses along Valley Blvd and Main Street.

If you're interested in Japanese culture and women, you'll find them in Little Tokyo (downtown L.A.), Gardena and Torrance.

dreamer82 wrote:I'm considering living in Monterey Park or a nearby area and I'm Caucasian. I've always liked Chinese culture and women but is this a good idea? Do white people get bad vibes from the locals? It seems like a good place since it's near downtown and job opportunities. Is it safe and are there Asian gangs that target white guys? I've always gotten along with Chinese people.
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Post by dreamer82 »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:
I know Asian gangs are around L.A., but they're not like Hispanic or black gangs who are highly visible.

I use to live out that way, and if I were you, and you want to live around Asian people, you should move to Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, Walnut, or Hacienda Heights. These are all safe and clean areas.

Monterey Park is to close too El Monte which is an area that I was told to say away from.
Didn't know about El Monte. Thanks for the advice. I have some experience driving around the Hacienda Heights area and agree that it looks safe. I'm more intrigued by Alhambra like Halwick mentioned. It seems like a decent area and close to a lot of things.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

Pasadena, Arcadia and Temple City are also worth considering. A bit further inland from Downtown, but very clean and safe. My Chinese girlfriend and I used to spend most of our time around those neighborhoods. Great restaurants, lounges, bars, cafes, shops, peaceful parks and the San Gabriel Mts are close by and have some nice hiking areas. The Chinese-Americans ime are laid-back and friendly; some are a bit aloof and inward, but I never felt totally unwelcomed. Old Town Pasadena is very happening and diverse, top-notch shopping, food and architecture. If I were to move back to Southern California, I'd only want to live in or close to Pasadena.