Feminism might have been a good thing if practiced right.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Feminism might have been a good thing if practiced right.

Post by Temprano26 »

I was raised by a single mother and I believe women should have the opportunity to do whatever men do. They should get paid the same wages but if they want let them fight on the frontlines in combat, take care of the garbage, fight fires (fireladies?).

I am all about equality but that extends to men as well. A man should not be treated like a dog just because he makes eye contact with a woman. A man should not be subjected to false rape charges because a woman regrets sleeping with him for one night. And as a massage therapist, I should not be subjected to false claims of sexual harassment in the workplace just because a woman wants to feel powerful.

I am pretty liberal but I have to admit when our ideologies have led to a population of bitchy women that think they have been victimized their whole lives, it has gone too far. Political correctness might have been a good idea too but it has led to a population of oversensitive people protesting whenever somebody says something "racist".

Moderation, people. That is all I am saying.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: Feminism might have been a good thing if practiced right

Post by S_Parc »

Temprano26 wrote:They should get paid the same wages
On this point, when adjusted for actual hours worked, as well as the position within a company, the gender wage gap is a myth. The so-called 77 cents on the dollar is an aggregation of all women working and all men working.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 2909957472

For most companies, ppl are hired into tiers. Thus, if a senior engineer III is paid $90K to $115K, then that so-called syndrome would mean that every female senior engineer level III is earning $89K-$90K and all the guys are at $115K-$116K. That's basically, an infeasible statistical situation, as workers will fall inside the payscale zone.

What happens instead is that women take a mix of maternity leave, time off, etc, and then, never move up into senior roles but then find themselves surprised when a guy's earning $110K, when she's only a junior engineer II and earning $65K. In other words, she never tried to gain a promotion into a higher tier. Usually, if a hard working person is denied a *experience tier level* promotion twice, then it's time to leave the firm. Likewise, if a company has a bunch of secretaries, why wouldn't it be surprising that the avg woman in the company is paid less than the avg guy, since guys tend to leave those admin jobs rather quickly for something better paying.

Mel works in an engineering sales position and her salary (& bonus package) are clearly in the senior engineering/top tier roles. And why's that? She works on closing deals and then, up selling upgrades, new solutions, and so forth. In other words, she's proactive in the business and gets paid for it.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
nicho12
Freshman Poster

Post by nicho12 »

Temprano26 wrote:I was raised by a single mother and I believe women should have the opportunity to do whatever men do. They should get paid the same wages but if they want let them fight on the frontlines in combat, take care of the garbage, fight fires (fireladies?).

I am all about equality but that extends to men as well. A man should not be treated like a dog just because he makes eye contact with a woman. A man should not be subjected to false rape charges because a woman regrets sleeping with him for one night. And as a massage therapist, I should not be subjected to false claims of sexual harassment in the workplace just because a woman wants to feel powerful.

I am pretty liberal but I have to admit when our ideologies have led to a population of bitchy women that think they have been victimized their whole lives, it has gone too far. Political correctness might have been a good idea too but it has led to a population of oversensitive people protesting whenever somebody says something "racist".

Moderation, people. That is all I am saying.
I have never been a believer in this whole idea of Egalitarianism(equality) because it will never exist, it has never existed and it doesn't exist, it's against nature's law, a society that believe's in equality will disintegrate and sink out of site in just a couple of hundred years. That's why America has become so f***ed up and is the process of decay
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

The problem with Feminists is that they want "equality", but none of the responsibility and accountability that goes with equality. For this reason, feminism can never be practiced fairly, equitably or "right".
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

S_Parc wrote:Mel works in an engineering sales position and her salary (& bonus package) are clearly in the senior engineering/top tier roles. And why's that? She works on closing deals and then, up selling upgrades, new solutions, and so forth. In other words, she's proactive in the business and gets paid for it.
So in other words, the men have the technical skills and do all the real work, while she gets paid a fortune for schmoozing with people, having a vagina and being a pervert. Absolutely disgusting.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Cornfed wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Mel works in an engineering sales position and her salary (& bonus package) are clearly in the senior engineering/top tier roles. And why's that? She works on closing deals and then, up selling upgrades, new solutions, and so forth. In other words, she's proactive in the business and gets paid for it.
So in other words, the men have the technical skills and do all the real work, while she gets paid a fortune for schmoozing with people, having a v****a and being a pervert. Absolutely disgusting.
We all work in sales, including men these days. And I've never closed a deal with a v@gina but with my presentation plus schmoozing skills. The same goes for Mel.

And then, those deals determine how much money goes into product development. Otherwise, your company is a *maintenance firm* and then, all of it gets sold off to Asia by the private equity firms.

Those so-called careers you're talking about, have been offshored. The 1980s are over.

If you stay in pure R&D, for more than 5-7 years, then the chances are, you won't have a job in the future. That's corporate America for you. Both Mel and I have engineering degrees, have worked in R&D and in sales, and we also understand what it takes to survive & not be cannon fodder for future layoffs and downsizing. And that means being on the business side of the company, after a certain amount of time in industry.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.