Need help from fellow Spanish speakers...

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Need help from fellow Spanish speakers...

Post by Temprano26 »

I met a woman in Costa Rica that I was in love with three years ago and I have been wanting to go back there ever since to meet her again. Today I was talking to her about when I take the trip up there after I get a massage license.
I can only talk to her on facebook and sometimes the language barrier is in the way of clear communication. This was her reply back to me.

"No, cuándo me den visa ya q no me la quién dar"

I translated it in my head as "When I get a visa" and the rest is vague. I really don't believe in that whole stereotype that Latina women are only after a man's visa, money, green card and I am not jumping to conclusions here. I have met this woman's mother and from the times we have spoken, she seems to lead a contented happy life with her family in Costa Rica. She is also a massage therapist. She is far from that image of a downtrodden Latina woman looking for an American to help her escape poverty.
That was the big picture I got of that entire country. I don't see why they would want to leave all of that. She hasn't responded but I am chalking it up to a miscommunication because my Spanish was off. It is just something that is bugging me.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Re: Need help from fellow Spanish speakers...

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Temprano26 wrote:I met a woman in Costa Rica that I was in love with three years ago and I have been wanting to go back there ever since to meet her again. Today I was talking to her about when I take the trip up there after I get a massage license.
I can only talk to her on facebook and sometimes the language barrier is in the way of clear communication. This was her reply back to me.

"No, cuándo me den visa ya q no me la quién dar"

I translated it in my head as "When I get a visa" and the rest is vague. I really don't believe in that whole stereotype that Latina women are only after a man's visa, money, green card and I am not jumping to conclusions here. I have met this woman's mother and from the times we have spoken, she seems to lead a contented happy life with her family in Costa Rica. She is also a massage therapist. She is far from that image of a downtrodden Latina woman looking for an American to help her escape poverty.
That was the big picture I got of that entire country. I don't see why they would want to leave all of that. She hasn't responded but I am chalking it up to a miscommunication because my Spanish was off. It is just something that is bugging me.
"Ya que"=since
"Quien" is obviously a mistype on her part, it should be "quieren"
"No me la quieren dar"=they don't want to give me it

Therefore, the phrase "No, cuando me den visa ya que no me la quieren dar" means "No, when they give me a visa since they don't want to give me it".
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Which country will she be needing a visa for? I got refused an american visa, they were very keen on keeping me out although I though I met all the requirements when I applied. I had no doubt that I would not get one. If it's for the UK or Canada, she would just need some cash in the bank plus a letter of inviatation & responsibility from you. Costa Rica is quite nice & the most of the people there are classier than some of other latin countires.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -