The Girl Effect from Nike Foundation - Feminist ploy?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

The Girl Effect from Nike Foundation - Feminist ploy?

Post by rudder »

Has anyone ever heard of the girl effect? The idea is to fund girl's education in "developing" countries around the world, basically so they don't have to be oppressed by the harsh patriarchy and have a miserable life of cooking, cleaning and being the unfortunate glue necessary to raise a healthy next generation.

Recently I read this article from the NY Times written by Warren Buffet's son, Peter. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/opini ... .html?_r=0

After reading the article, I thought to myself, "Wow! This guy actually gets it!" So I visited his foundation's website: http://novofoundation.org/

Upon scanning his website I got the impression that Peter must have renounced all decision-making to his wife. Despite Peter's lofty critique in the NY Times article about how we essentially need to create a new society that exists outside the debt-based fiat currency pyramid scheme that is the International Bank of Settlements, The World Bank, IMF, etc. etc, his foundation seems pretty lackluster.

The solution? Give women a greater education? I don't see how having billions of high school and college-educated women will make the world any better. So they can have more opportunities to gain positions of power? Who cares who's stearing the ship! The captain is not the problem, it's the ship itself.

It's just a feminist logical fallacy applied to developing nations: "We want equal opportunities in the system that screws everyone over equally!"
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

I would hire a woman with a 130 iq over a man with 110 any day. Im sure an engineering firm would hire a woman with 4.0 in engineering from princeton than a guy with 3.5 at public state u.

I hate feminism but you'd be foolish to not beleive that some women are smarter than some men. as a group, females have lower average IQ. But so do hispanics, blacks, etc.

Most individual women with significant power have very high IQs. There is now affirmitive action for men in university admissions at top schools.