Expatriation for the Millenials

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mguy
Junior Poster

Expatriation for the Millenials

Post by mguy »

This is for the current generation characterized as the millenials, base-line would be born upwards 1982.

The America that you live in is different from the America that Winston lived in. But what happened? The economic collapse called the mortgage crises and the subsequent government reaction of plowing borrowed money to fix the problem: an economic red pill.

Before the millennial, they still bitched about life, but America was in a better economic position. Thus the previous generations had little problems obtaining wages to at least start their expatriation (unless they were losers) or at least build capital. Nowadays you see highly educated kids that are going to the workforce for wages that barely rises while their cost of living is ever increasing. Coupled with globalization and the commodization of skills. Is that engineering job really an attractive option?

The pros:

At least our generation have more exposure to the internet and we have become experts at absorbing new information and distilling wisdom from the quackheads of the previous generation.

We were born with technology, our attention spans are shorter, but we dissect info-bites at lighting speed: have you tried teaching an older person how to do something on the puter?

With mass production our costs for expatriation are much smaller and with information our intel collection procedures are much faster. Time to expatriation these days are much faster due to information being out there.

New platforms to help us in expatriation. Need income? Try odesk. Housing? airbnb. Banking? online. Specific questions? Forum. These trivial things were not available to Winston.

Negative:

We are more susceptible to falling into the system of materialism and wage-slavery as marketing and business systems are now at weapons grade. Your mind is now their bitch but you will hardly recognize this because of the sophistry.

With information we are bombarded with an equal quantity of bad information that would seize the lesser minds.

Competition. These same technology is also informing other citizens and the skills required is now higher.

Economic forces are now translating to social forces and people are increasingly becoming more concerned with increasing social rank and the egos associated with it.

End.

Either way we are here as the next happierabroader, hopefully we can do it with more flair more artistry.

"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

It is easier than ever to start a business. Im talking online app, online e-commerce etc. i know like 20 kids in my school who have sold sucessful companies and are living like kings....

Again, no one is forcing you to be a wage slave. You can join a tribe of native americans or go to africa, live as a hunter or something.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

mrmillersd wrote:It is easier than ever to start a business. Im talking online app, online e-commerce etc. i know like 20 kids in my school who have sold sucessful companies and are living like kings....

Again, no one is forcing you to be a wage slave. You can join a tribe of native americans or go to africa, live as a hunter or something.
Can you give some examples of the types of companies they sold and the products or services those companies provided? Were they all e-commerce? I agree it's easier than ever to start an internet business and for word of mouth to spread faster because of social networks and the internet reviews. Marketing the business is very important and without proper marketing there is a high chance of failure.

I'm interested because to sell a company it usually has to be legitimate and licensed, provide something of value, show a clear profit, have growth potential, and have intellectual property (a trademarked name). The costs run up fairly quickly which is why it's difficult for many young people unless they run a business under their own name.
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

I know like 4 of them were clothing/brands. Think serengetee etc...highly profitable
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

mrmillersd wrote:I know like 4 of them were clothing/brands. Think serengetee etc...highly profitable
A clothing brand can definitely be a profitable business and it's one the businesses I have an interest in. I read the story about True Religion which began as a small company and penny stock. It took some time to publicize itself and it's now one of the most profitable clothing companies selling designer fashion.

Did they design their own fashion or contract with an independent manufacturing company? With items like fashion or niche products the acquisition of the trademark before selling is important to protect intellectual property is very important because it's usually first to register the mark gets it. It can be difficult and very costly to fight to reclaim a mark if a competitor or a large behemoth corporation steals a mark which is why registering a mark prior to operating is the best idea.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

I was born in 1987.

I do plan on leaving the country in a few years, but only because of the women here compared to those overseas.

I still think that the US is one of the best places to make money. I work in one of the few fields that is still high paying and you are almost guaranteed a job (unless you really f**k up). I also am really into business and will be launching my own very soon.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

This is what happen to America, watch it and tell me how many families do you know with a similar outcome?

http://billmoyers.com/2013/07/10/two-american-families/
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Difficult to see that many Millennials living abroad. Most have so much debt already that they're committed to being wage slaves for decades.

They don't seem to be that smart either... at least the ones I've seen backpacking round Asia.

MGuy's point about bad information is right - I'm on vacation right now and all I see when I Google travel stuff is tripadvisor and wikipedia. Both are full of crap. Google can't even show me an up to date KL metro map.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

xiongmao wrote:Difficult to see that many Millennials living abroad. Most have so much debt already that they're committed to being wage slaves for decades.

They don't seem to be that smart either... at least the ones I've seen backpacking round Asia.

MGuy's point about bad information is right - I'm on vacation right now and all I see when I Google travel stuff is tripadvisor and wikipedia. Both are full of crap. Google can't even show me an up to date KL metro map.
According to some studies as many of 20% of those under 30 are living abroad. That's more than Gen X or Baby Boomers that live abroad.

I can find whatever I want online, search terms or how to put in the correct phase is important. There more up to date maps on mobile metro software...
mrmillersd
Freshman Poster

Post by mrmillersd »

I mean that is because its easier to go abroad nowadays....cell phones, gps, smart phones make it 100x easier to travel and live abroad. Also, since the USSR fell, traveling became alot more easier.... people from ALL countries are travling and living abroad more...
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

xiongmao wrote:Difficult to see that many Millennials living abroad. Most have so much debt already that they're committed to being wage slaves for decades.

Very bold statement, my friend.

Not ALL of us are in debt (I'm not). While I agree that most millennials are stupid, I haven't found Gen Xers or Baby Boomers to be smarter. Most people in general seem pretty stupid to me.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Here are some stupid millenials who are operating in your city in China. :D

http://www.theelevatorlife.com/about-us/
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

mguy wrote:

Here are some stupid millenials who are operating in your city in China. :D

http://www.theelevatorlife.com/about-us/
I believe that Millennials are the greatest entrepreneurs because most can think outside of the box and are more imaginative. Many Millenials also want to improve things. Many of the older generations are only able to think inside the box, follow orders, and do what they have been taught to do.

What makes things difficult is Millennials have the least amount of net worth of all the generations. I wonder how Millennials can get the loans to finance their businesses.

Many Millennials are in debt from student loans and the average for Americans is about $27,000. Lucky Millennials have no debt and being debt free is an advantage.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I have little debt and its related to school.

I have owned businesses before and I am Gen X...
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Also, we probably have the most sexually frustrated males