It seems like in America, you have to be perfect to fit in

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: It seems like in America, you have to be perfect to fit

Post by Jester »

Adama wrote:...She could have been seemingly crazy for you for months. That can change in a matter of minutes without warning. They are extremely susceptible to the opinions of other women and their gossip. One bad word from another woman (or better yet, if the other women gang up on her about you) can turn her against you.
This is pretty much it. There is a hellish feminist sorority, and the average single woman is desperate to impress the sisters. Muscles, car, looks, money, status job, full head of hair, humor, sharp dresser, tattoos --- anything that impresses them, is what counts with her. Doesn't have to be ALL of it. Just SOMETHING that will make her gf's jealous.

She doesn't need a husband, she needs male arm candy.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Mr.Darcy wrote:It seems like in America, you have to be perfect to fit in
zboy1 wrote: Yes. And ever notice how American men act like total jerks and frequently put other men down--in order to be taken seriously (and be popular) with both males and females in the country ? Am I right or am I wrong in my observations of American men?
The put-downs from men are real. For example, here in Glendale, you have to be fit, slim, well-dressed and driving a nice car, and have a hot younger well-dressed current gf, just to sit with friends without being joked at negatively. They look for whatever is negative to pick on. They don't feel good till they tear you down. IMO, it's close to demonic.

One friend suggested I dress sharper and buy a nicer car, so people would be impressed. He was talking about the short, grey-haired, old-looking rich Armenians at the local cafe.

I don't MIND being around the avuncular, earthy old ethnic crowd - but spend $30,000 to IMPRESS them??? And that would do exactly what for me??

Yet that's actually what they themselves all do. Kind of a big "circle jerk" of trying to impress one another while putting each other down.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Jester wrote:The put-downs from men are real. For example, here in Glendale, you have to be fit, slim, well-dressed and driving a nice car, and have a hot younger well-dressed current gf, just to sit with friends without being joked at negatively. They look for whatever is negative to pick on. They don't feel good till they tear you down. IMO, it's close to demonic.
Sounds like SoCal, the epitome of all show and no substance.

This is why I like New Englanders more. Ppl know their places and thus, it's a lot of easier to fit in.

The descendents of the snobby Boston Brahmin/Mayflower gang simply don't associate with commoners. These aristocrats are easy to spot, as their noses are always pointed away.

And for the most part, the 'Keeping up with the Jones' crew sticks together, & brags about their financial achievements, or latest boat, while the more Bohemian, 'I don't care' crowd does exactly that, hang out and not care.

The rest, mainly the working class fellas, have a life, are interested in local sports, and thus, are pretty laid back in general, esp when the team wins, though that didn't happen last night with the Stanley Cup :roll:
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Jester wrote:
zboy1 wrote: Yes. And ever notice how American men act like total jerks and frequently put other men down--in order to be taken seriously (and be popular) with both males and females in the country ? Am I right or am I wrong in my observations of American men?
The put-downs from men are real. For example, here in Glendale, you have to be fit, slim, well-dressed and driving a nice car, and have a hot younger well-dressed current gf, just to sit with friends without being joked at negatively. They look for whatever is negative to pick on. They don't feel good till they tear you down. IMO, it's close to demonic.

One friend suggested I dress sharper and buy a nicer car, so people would be impressed. He was talking about the short, grey-haired, old-looking rich Armenians at the local cafe.

I don't MIND being around the avuncular, earthy old ethnic crowd - but spend $30,000 to IMPRESS them??? And that would do exactly what for me??

Yet that's actually what they themselves all do. Kind of a big "circle jerk" of trying to impress one another while putting each other down.
I do agree and they're so superficial and think they're above everybody else because they have vineyard vines stickers on their cars. I remember I was watching the Heat game and they started picking on chris anderson for being white trash with his tattoos. I immediately replied with he makes more money than you, so shut up and they all got defensive and attacked me with their thoughts. These are college kids that already think the world will be handed to them.
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

Jester wrote:

sums up perfectly southern California and one of the reasons why I am glad I don't live in that cesspool.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236