Do you eat more abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
drealm
Junior Poster

Do you eat more abroad?

Post by drealm »

I work odd hours and this usually leaves me hungry in the middle of the night. When I went to Mexico for a week I had the life changing experience of seeing food places that seem to stay open all night. I never had a problem finding a street vendor to serve amazing fresh food. I really want the freedom to just be able to walk out of my house and grab food without much effort. I think this is one reason I'm chronically skinny. In America everything starts at the brick and mortar level, but this doesn't leave much for people who want to eat but not pay for or spend the time sitting down. I think this is one reason why Americans are so stressed out. They know that just to get food they need to fight through a maze or that they can get caught in odd hours where everything shuts down.

What were the countries you've visited that had the best street food experience?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 25th, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Thailand, southern Ecuador, and Bolivia have great cheap street food.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Maybe a bit more but I usually walk 20x as much as I do at home when I'm on vacation. I enjoy walking and taking in the local culture so if I can avoid a cab ride, I'll use my own two feet. So I build up more of an appetite.

However, most foreign countries don't feed you American sized portions so it's not as easy to get full unless you double up on your order. I normally lose weight when I travel!
terminator
Junior Poster

Post by terminator »

God No, the food in Russia/Turkey and there-abouts is horrendous! I was sick at least once a week (on average) and I sure learned to be fussy very fast - especially only eating easy to peel fruit like bananas and never dirty grapes or berries!
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

terminator wrote:God No, the food in Russia/Turkey and there-abouts is horrendous! I was sick at least once a week (on average) and I sure learned to be fussy very fast - especially only eating easy to peel fruit like bananas and never dirty grapes or berries!
What is Russian food typically like?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 25th, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

Post by Disillusioned_American »

Former Yugoslavian countries have awesome food, and the portions are more filling than America. However, with all of the walking I did, I think I actually lost weight. In my opinion, restaurants in the US don't give you enough food for the $$$.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »