Anyone have an opinion about the seasteading movement?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Anyone have an opinion about the seasteading movement?

Post by zboy1 »

According to the "Sea Steading Institute:"
http://www.seasteading.org/?intro=close
At The Seasteading Institute, we work to enable seasteading communities — floating cities — which will allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for government. The most successful can then inspire
change in governments around the world.

Why Seastead? The Seasteading Institute Promotional Video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZ9e_Ok ... EA&index=1[/youtube]

Vote With Your Boat
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi5hZn0y ... EA&index=2[/youtube]

Any body have any thoughts about this movement?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

Well it does seem a good option when zombies roam the lands.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

jboy wrote:Well it does seem a good option when zombies roam the lands.
:lol:

Indeed it does, now that you mention it.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

wow...a good friend of mine posted this to me on facebook. it is a very good idea.

one idea that will evolve into a "flying city" eventually. when i say this i mean a giant city floating by the use of levitation devices or ufo type technology.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Anyone have an opinion about the seasteading movement?

Post by Jester »

zboy1 wrote:According to the "Sea Steading Institute:"
http://www.seasteading.org/?intro=close
At The Seasteading Institute, we work to enable seasteading communities — floating cities — which will allow the next generation of pioneers to peacefully test new ideas for government. The most successful can then inspire
change in governments around the world.

Why Seastead? The Seasteading Institute Promotional Video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZ9e_Ok ... EA&index=1[/youtube]

Vote With Your Boat
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi5hZn0y ... EA&index=2[/youtube]

Any body have any thoughts about this movement?
Great for long-range future, complete with aquafarming, seawater energy generation, undersea mineral exploitation, etc. But shorter-range it needs a more dramatic cash flow per square foot. The guys yo posted are right on with their idea of sovereignty. If you can get recognized sovereignty, cash flow is available from second passports, banking, etc.

Sealand was headed this way I guess, with offshore pirate radio and internet hosting. Didn't get recognition, though.

http://www.sealandgov.org/

Also I did a business plan for an offshore platform-based high-end gambling resort. If you know anyone with $10 million+ seed money (his own money) who wants to do something world-changing, let me know. It pencils.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

My opinion is they will be a flop like the old movie "Waterworld" because we have excellent communication and th ability to fly, so who needs their city to float around the world?
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

polya wrote:My opinion is they will be a flop like the old movie "Waterworld" because we have excellent communication and th ability to fly, so who needs their city to float around the world?
It won't flop and here's why...

1) Coastal Cities like New Orleans will be facing rising oceans due to the melting of the ice caps. Another serious storm surge or worst will put the city under 4-6 feet of water, despite the new levies. Sandy wasn't so much about the storm itself it was sort of run of the mill for the east coast. The higher water table in the Atlantic brought a much larger storm surge and that's what flatten the coastal homes and flooded the subways in lower Manhattan.

As the water level gets higher, New Orleans and similar cities will be facing a decision to become extinct or move to the floating city platform.

2) The last frontier on this planet is the oceans. There will be increasing activity on top of and under the water.

Water world is another Apocalyptic movie like Book of Ely or Mad Max. The science research community would love to live on the water and float around the world.... You may not.
jboy
Freshman Poster

Post by jboy »

Reminds me of the Ancient Aliens show....

The future is we live in Atlantis like cities if polar ice melts and floods the world.

Whohoo!
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

djfourmoney wrote: As the water level gets higher, New Orleans and similar cities will be facing a decision to become extinct or move to the floating city platform.
I think the first thing will be the de-rust belting of existing in-land cities. For instance, coastal metro Boston is highly prosperous, however, both Worcester and Springfield MA are in this sort of rust belt pattern of decaying former industries and lack of interested investors in re-developing the urban areas. The same goes for much of upstate NY, from Albany to Buffalo.

I can very easily see a lot of MA businesses and residents, re-settling the Worcester to Springfield areas (along with Nashua NH to the north), if Boston becomes a marshland. It's certainly a lot cheaper to re-vamp aging cities than it is in creating a floating oil rig, supped up to become a new city.

The fact that neither Manhattan nor New Orleans were prepared for either natural or man-made disaster is a function of hubris and lack of foresight. Pretty much, NYC data centers, switching hubs, etc needed to have their fail-over strategy to incorporate areas like Denver, Chicago, and Houston over the Jersey suburbs. And New Orlean residents really need to leave a city, below sea level. It's not like it's got ancient historic features like Venice to preserve for posterity sakes. The French Quarter could easily be built out in just about any US city, if Cajuns parties are interested.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

A fleet of ships that could be used for pirating and such would make more sense than the ideas being proposed.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Cornfed wrote:A fleet of ships that could be used for pirating and such would make more sense than the ideas being proposed.

U don't need pirating and you fail the understand the reasons for pirating. Adjust the economic to be fair across the board and the desire to take from others is reduced. This is why Western Europe has a lower marginal crime rate and don't give me that mono-culture BS.

How about we put you and others like you on a floating platform? You don't like people of color and your type needs its own island or you'll find yourselves banished like the Barlocks in an episode of the Superfriends....
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

S_Parc wrote:
djfourmoney wrote: As the water level gets higher, New Orleans and similar cities will be facing a decision to become extinct or move to the floating city platform.
I think the first thing will be the de-rust belting of existing in-land cities. For instance, coastal metro Boston is highly prosperous, however, both Worcester and Springfield MA are in this sort of rust belt pattern of decaying former industries and lack of interested investors in re-developing the urban areas. The same goes for much of upstate NY, from Albany to Buffalo.

I can very easily see a lot of MA businesses and residents, re-settling the Worcester to Springfield areas (along with Nashua NH to the north), if Boston becomes a marshland. It's certainly a lot cheaper to re-vamp aging cities than it is in creating a floating oil rig, supped up to become a new city.

The fact that neither Manhattan nor New Orleans were prepared for either natural or man-made disaster is a function of hubris and lack of foresight. Pretty much, NYC data centers, switching hubs, etc needed to have their fail-over strategy to incorporate areas like Denver, Chicago, and Houston over the Jersey suburbs. And New Orlean residents really need to leave a city, below sea level. It's not like it's got ancient historic features like Venice to preserve for posterity sakes. The French Quarter could easily be built out in just about any US city, if Cajuns parties are interested.
I agree to stop or at least slow down the surge about 10 Billion. To repair the damage from Sandy not including the lost productivity = 70 Billion. Does nothing but enrich contractors to clean up the mess.

Its the Disaster Capitalism that the Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein talks about her book.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... apitalists
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:A fleet of ships that could be used for pirating and such would make more sense than the ideas being proposed.

Like Ragnar Danneskjold?

OK I want to hear more about this idea. Please feel free to, umm... er...

..."hijack the thread"!

;)
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Jester wrote:

Like Ragnar Danneskjold?

OK I want to hear more about this idea. Please feel free to, umm... er...

..."hijack the thread"!

;)
http://therightstuff.biz/2012/12/30/the ... jectivism/

Great post today from a blog fschmidt showed me. It's about the tragedy of Objectivism and how Rand should have been more honest with John Galt being a stand in for Jesus Christ. That's me in the comments too.