How are you guys making money?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mguy
Junior Poster

How are you guys making money?

Post by mguy »

I did the search function but it wasn't conclusive.

Do you guys work traditional job like professional services? or have jobs at all? Are you guys programmers car-sales retail? whatever.

If you have online business then say that and nothing else, or post the actual site URL to get points. :D
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How are you guys making money?

Post by Rock »

mguy wrote:I did the search function but it wasn't conclusive.

Do you guys work traditional job like professional services? or have jobs at all? Are you guys programmers car-sales retail? whatever.

If you have online business then say that and nothing else, or post the actual site URL to get points. :D
Most of the long term expats here seem to be teaching English locally or online, doing some related consulting business, or take extended work trips to middle east and States when funds are depleted (in case of Ladislav). Others may have accumulated assets from past work and use them to generate passive income or have successful online business (Winston). I don't know of any frequent posters who are trust fund babies or are supported by their families but there may be some of those too.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'm a software developer (C#, SQL) and I find that if you have a skill then you're always in demand. You don't even need to be a brainy geek. My dad was earning £20 an hour before he retired just doing CNC machining. Young guys don't want to do this, they wanna appear on American Idol :-P .

Here's my business website. I make some cash online. However, I'm largely financing my imminent move to China from savings. All I really spend money on is food, and ignoring the consumer lifestyle has allowed me to save a stack of cash. It really does all add up.

If I need cash in China I'll teach English, export stuff, go on oDesk, build websites etc. etc. etc. There's money around if you want it badly enough.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

xiongmao wrote:I'm a software developer (C#, SQL) and I find that if you have a skill then you're always in demand. You don't even need to be a brainy geek. My dad was earning £20 an hour before he retired just doing CNC machining. Young guys don't want to do this, they wanna appear on American Idol :-P .

Here's my business website. I make some cash online. However, I'm largely financing my imminent move to China from savings. All I really spend money on is food, and ignoring the consumer lifestyle has allowed me to save a stack of cash. It really does all add up.

If I need cash in China I'll teach English, export stuff, go on oDesk, build websites etc. etc. etc. There's money around if you want it badly enough.
Yes, theoretically the process is quite simple. You find a skill that people will pay for and that you wouldn't mind doing, and then learn it. While learning the skill, you blog about it to show that you know this skill, and also use the blog to get contacts. Eventually will will be able to find someone to pay you for this skill...and even if not find someone straight away, do it for someone for free first, and then can charge people for it.

It can be any skill, like web design, graphic design, SEO etc.

Over the long term, once you are able to make income off these skills, you can start to learn how to do more skills, then put these to use in setting up passive income streams.
Dark_Sol
Freshman Poster

Post by Dark_Sol »

I get paid for my service to this shit hole of a country. Got messed up, came back and found out how really f***ed this country is.