Expat woman trying to change patriarchal Italy

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

abcdavid01 wrote:Is that true about engineering? I became a certified draftsman in high school and I was taking Industrial Design courses in college before dropping out. I don't regret it and am happy developing income online, but it's good to know that's true. Actually I heard there was a glut of engineers, but maybe it's just something to come that isn't reflected in the market yet. Oh man, how cool it would be to work for Ferrari or Vespa or Ducatti. Ah, but a job's still a job. People who are truly happy with their jobs, in line with the tao as it were, they might as well be mythological.
Being an engineer in Italy is a bit like playing the safe wildcard. The job market doesn't offer much, so if you like your maths and you want a decently paid job, an engineering degree, or perhaps a computer science one, are an almost obligatory path. The problem is, most engineering students have to endure ploughing through an incredible number of theoretical subjects just to have the diploma and then go off and do something completely unrelated.

Yeah jobs in a top-notch mechanical engineering outfit ranks among the coolest jobs. We have a few large companies, from Finmeccanica to Alenia Spazio to Agusta Westland. One of the coolest places to work is Brembo, the world's best manufacturer of precision disc brakes, mounted on almost all the best sport cars as well as F1.
Andrewww
Freshman Poster

Post by Andrewww »

ssjparris wrote:i have had very very good experiences with italian people. inluding women especailly with those funny videos of the black guy coming out of the laundry. women in europe consider black men to be exotic.

italian women are very very happy women. they like men. Enjoy the company of men and are very inclusive with everyone around.

a patriarchy makes women happy. a feminist society makes women very unhappy. go figure. :shock:
Maybe it's because these women know their roles. That is to have children not to become CEOs. If a girl tells you she's a CEO do you find that sexy ? Does that turn you on ? A corporate drone is the least appealing job I can imagine for a woman.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 24th, 2013, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

ssjparris wrote:i have had very very good experiences with italian people. inluding women especailly with those funny videos of the black guy coming out of the laundry. women in europe consider black men to be exotic.

italian women are very very happy women. they like men. Enjoy the company of men and are very inclusive with everyone around.

a patriarchy makes women happy. a feminist society makes women very unhappy. go figure. :shock:
I wouldn't call Italy a patriarchal society. Women have always had an equally important role in household decisions. My granny was basically running the house while my grandad was at work (he had a construction business) most of the day. She would run circles around him taking all sorts of important decisions without him even knowing. Perhaps without him even caring.

I guess the differentiation between a patriarchal society and non-patriarchal society like the modern one is not on who rules what, but how well defined and executed the different roles are.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Andrewww wrote:

Maybe it's because these women know their roles. That is to have children not to become CEOs. If a girl tells you she's a CEO do you find that sexy ? Does that turn you on ? A corporate drone is the least appealing job I can imagine for a woman.
My dad married one. He told me not to make the same mistake.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

publicduende wrote:

I wouldn't call Italy a patriarchal society. Women have always had an equally important role in household decisions. My granny was basically running the house while my grandad was at work (he had a construction business) most of the day. She would run circles around him taking all sorts of important decisions without him even knowing. Perhaps without him even caring.

I guess the differentiation between a patriarchal society and non-patriarchal society like the modern one is not on who rules what, but how well defined and executed the different roles are.
women seek power and control over men no matter what country they are from. your granny was very devious and manipulative. all he had to do was make sure she knew her place.

was your grandparents here in america or italy.

italian women really dont have any rights. it is recommended that she does not. i have seen what foreign women do when they have rights.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

Andrewww wrote:

you respond to my post as if i was "asking why" italian women are the way they are. nope...i know what they are. and i know why the way they are. i was only stating the facts not asking a question.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

eurobrat wrote:
hahahaa...ah man gotta love europe as a whole. most european countries are open about nudity and sexaulity. and they put it on television ALL the time. this kind of thing is normal.

i dislike how the U.K. is making it look like its wrong to have nudity and sexaulity on T.V. they can go and kiss my black chocolatey ass.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

ssjparris wrote:women seek power and control over men no matter what country they are from. your granny was very devious and manipulative. all he had to do was make sure she knew her place.

was your grandparents here in america or italy.

italian women really dont have any rights. it is recommended that she does not. i have seen what foreign women do when they have rights.
My maternal grandparents were living in Italy. Ironically my granny was born in New York and had lived there until she was 4. My granny was one of the loveliest people I could ever meet in my life. There were almost 250 people at her funeral, a testament to how much she was loved and respected by the extended family and our community. What probably sounds unfamiliar to your world view is that a good woman of yesteryear was silently asked to wrap around her husband's personality and life, and complement his roles in the family. If my granny silently chose to take the burden of managing the household, it's because granpa was always too busy at work (in current times he would have beel labeled a workaholic) and, most probably, trusted her completely.

You should listen to this song. It puts those feelings in words and music to perfection.

Last edited by publicduende on November 26th, 2012, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

thanks publicduende, very interesting lol
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -