Should Winston Help/Donate/Give to Those Less Fortunate in the Philippines?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Should Winston Help/Donate/Give to Those Less Fortunate in the Philippines

Yes!, helping others shows a good heart and compassion and kindness.
20%
No, he should continue to be a selfish, self-serving, scrooge.
80%

Total votes: 5
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Should Winston Help/Donate/Give to Those Less Fortunate in the Philippines?

Post by Yohan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 1:58 am
Yohan wrote:
July 28th, 2023, 7:51 pm
About helping others in general, if it makes any sense why not to help? But helping should result in improvement. Many people are not willing to work hard to improve their own situation and are even ungrateful for help? Why to help them? Why to give something to aggressive beggars? To drug junkies who will use your money to buy drugs again...etc.
.....I think your comment about how some people are not willing to work hard is an ignorant one. Some people DO work hard and then all it takes is an unlucky day where they lose their job and suffer from mounting debt and lose their home, then they become homeless.
I don't think, my comment is 'ignorant'. Try to change such people who prefer to live in the streets - most of them will not even listen to you.

Such people are totally unwilling to do anything productive, living from garbage, are into drugs and alcohol etc.

There are only a few 'bright ones' willing to work, willing to do something to get out of their difficult situation - this guy for example...
but he does not ask anybody for help. He is confident to be able to improve his life, in future not to become homeless again and to have jobs and earn enough money....

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Yohan wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:07 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:
About helping others in general, if it makes any sense why not to help? But helping should result in improvement. Many people are not willing to work hard to improve their own situation and are even ungrateful for help? Why to help them? Why to give something to aggressive beggars? To drug junkies who will use your money to buy drugs again...etc.
.....I think your comment about how some people are not willing to work hard is an ignorant one. Some people DO work hard and then all it takes is an unlucky day where they lose their job and suffer from mounting debt and lose their home, then they become homeless.
I don't think, my comment is 'ignorant'. Try to change such people who prefer to live in the streets - most of them will not even listen to you.

Such people are totally unwilling to do anything productive, living from garbage, are into drugs and alcohol etc.

There are only a few 'bright ones' willing to work, willing to do something to get out of their difficult situation - this guy for example...
but he does not ask anybody for help. He is confident to be able to improve his life, in future not to become homeless again and to have jobs and earn enough money....

A lot of people find themselves homeless and on the streets because of circumstances out of their own control. By giving them spare change I am helping them get through the day and nothing more. They will spend it on drugs or alcohol maybe but that's what helps them get through the night. Have you ever tried sleeping on the streets sober?

The ones you call "bright ones" might still have hope of improving their own situation, but doesn't the video and example you provided just prove my point? Not everyone chooses to be homeless. It could happen to absolutely anyone at any time. Some of these homeless people, who get ignored by the majority of society, might just lose hope completely and that is why they become "dumb ones" or whatever.

Why should homelessness even exist in a so-called advanced society? There are people who have so much money (more money than they could ever need in a lifetime) and they could help eradicate homelessness or at least provide some of these people with a decent head start. Instead of investing money into helping or providing shelter to homeless people our governments see them as an inconvenience and spend money putting "arm rests" on benches, spikes under bridges and under shop windows to stop homeless seeking even rudimentary comfort or shelter. It's an absolute joke.

That's why I called your comment ignorant, because you are ignorant. You assume homeless people can be neatly separated into categories of "bright ones" who are salvageable slaves and then lazy bums who don't deserve any help at all, but you totally disregard what factors make them the way they are such as mental illness or severe depression! You blame alcoholism and drug addiction most likely. When these things are more than likely just byproducts of homelessness. If I was homeless I would become an alcoholic or a drug addict as well.

Where is your empathy and compassion for others? Don't you think that it's terrible that homelessness exists? I'm not saying @Winston or anyone else should feel obligated to ALWAYS give change to homeless, as we're all people trying to gey by and none of us have a networth anywhere near large enough to make a dent in homelessness.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 3:28 am
Yohan wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:

A lot of people find themselves homeless and on the streets because of circumstances out of their own control. By giving them spare change I am helping them get through the day and nothing more. They will spend it on drugs or alcohol maybe but that's what helps them get through the night. Have you ever tried sleeping on the streets sober?

The ones you call "bright ones" might still have hope of improving their own situation, but doesn't the video and example you provided just prove my point? Not everyone chooses to be homeless. It could happen to absolutely anyone at any time. Some of these homeless people, who get ignored by the majority of society, might just lose hope completely and that is why they become "dumb ones" or whatever.

Why should homelessness even exist in a so-called advanced society? There are people who have so much money (more money than they could ever need in a lifetime) and they could help eradicate homelessness or at least provide some of these people with a decent head start. Instead of investing money into helping or providing shelter to homeless people our governments see them as an inconvenience and spend money putting "arm rests" on benches, spikes under bridges and under shop windows to stop homeless seeking even rudimentary comfort or shelter. It's an absolute joke.

That's why I called your comment ignorant, because you are ignorant. You assume homeless people can be neatly separated into categories of "bright ones" who are salvageable slaves and then lazy bums who don't deserve any help at all, but you totally disregard what factors make them the way they are such as mental illness or severe depression! You blame alcoholism and drug addiction most likely. When these things are more than likely just byproducts of homelessness. If I was homeless I would become an alcoholic or a drug addict as well.

Where is your empathy and compassion for others? Don't you think that it's terrible that homelessness exists? I'm not saying @Winston or anyone else should feel obligated to ALWAYS give change to homeless, as we're all people trying to gey by and none of us have a networth anywhere near large enough to make a dent in homelessness.
@Pixel--Dude

What you wrote is not obvious at all. You are a spiritual guy so a lot of your convictions may come from feelings but when we look at nature, history, science things get more complicated. People tried to solve a lot of the problems you talk about with communism and it sometimes made it worse. So it is a mixed bag.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

galii wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 3:59 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:

@Pixel--Dude

What you wrote is not obvious at all. You are a spiritual guy so a lot of your convictions may come from feelings but when we look at nature, history, science things get more complicated. People tried to solve a lot of the problems you talk about with communism and it sometimes made it worse. So it is a mixed bag.
You're right to a degree. I do let my emotions get the better of me when it comes to this topic. I hate that people should be homeless and all because of a bullshit economic system which really has no basis in reality. In my opinion a home should be a basic human right. If older systems like communism didn't work, then we should have intelligent individuals trying to develop a new system which is conducive to everyone, obviously I'm not thinking of the Great Reset which is just government and big corporations planned acquisition of absolutely everything.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 4:10 am
galii wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 3:59 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:

@Pixel--Dude

You're right to a degree. I do let my emotions get the better of me when it comes to this topic. I hate that people should be homeless and all because of a bullshit economic system which really has no basis in reality. In my opinion a home should be a basic human right. If older systems like communism didn't work, then we should have intelligent individuals trying to develop a new system which is conducive to everyone, obviously I'm not thinking of the Great Reset which is just government and big corporations planned acquisition of absolutely everything.
I think younger guys should actually be a bit emotional and try to change the system. Not you but us older guys are a bit done. We learned to accept it I guess. We have not much energy left.

Anyway with emotional I did not mean how the topic makes you emotional. What I meant was that your emotions may have given you the reason why you think the problem is more easy to solve than for guys like Yohan. It happens to all of us. Sometimes we have the emotions and then we rationalize why the opinion raised by it is true. It is an epostological thing. Sorry for rambling.

I don't mean to say you are wrong. What I want to say is that things that look easy are not always easy and buy trying to solve it it can make things worse. So some people might feel it is too much of a risk.

Another thing is what clever people would like to do might not work because most people might not want what the clever people that is the elite want even if it is good faith. People are different and have simple brains. People's brain work a bit like of monkey's. That is why you call them NPCs. Hard to herd NPC's.

Let me ask you something. Whose life is better Cuban's or Domninican Republican's? I feel like being more 'social' has its costs and it might be worth it but I don't know.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
Where is your empathy and compassion for others?
@Pixel--Dude

Strange comment from you.

I gave more than enough as an foreign individual to help poor people in the Philippines during the last 25 years or so when I was earning really good money.

However I never gave anything to charities, never anything to the Catholic Church and never anything to so-called 'dumb ones'.

You have to be realistic, you cannot help everybody. You have to choose carefully. Winston also explained that to you.

Don't ask me how much I spent so far (but surely several tens of thousands of USD) and for how many Filipinos I bought food, medicine, and how many items I collected in Japan from co-workers and sent them as balikbayan boxes to Cebu, and how much I paid for construction materials after a flood to prevent people to become homeless, also I paid for fairly expensive school fees up to university, even helping a Filipina caretaker dying of cancer for her last weeks to be free of pain , etc. etc.

However I have to say all of those people I helped (adults and children too) were very poor but willing to work for a better future, never into alcohol, no drugs, crime-free and grateful, (so-called 'bright ones') and I am still in contact with most of them after many years.