Does race supersede nationality for Americans?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

mrmillersd wrote:However, as time goes on Spanish/french ethnic features will decay. The recessive genes for light eyes/hair will be forever destroyed by the genes of indiginous peoples due to interracial kids
That's where classism comes into play. The Spanish and French were both clever enough to mate with mostly people in higher society. If they did have kids with a far lower class individual they would quietly disown the children or bring them into the upper class fold (rarely). Through this method they created a blood caste which is naturally higher class and now looks different from the rest of the population. Over time..usually 1 or 2 generations the half-castes pride themselves of being 50-90% "european" and are proud to lord their family's upper class roots over the locals. This system is difficult to break down because the upper class people are generally more educated as well and rarely marry downward.

Even in countries like Brazil the more obviously european looking Brazilians might still have mixed bloodlines but they tend to marry individuals equal to or upwards in the blood caste. They tend not to marry blacks or mestizo types. Thus the blood caste is preserved indefinitely.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
This is funny because..even in Brazil, Asians with call themselves Brazilians!and claim Brazil to the death.
They do so because others call and treat them as fellow Brazilians and human beings and because..well, they are Brazilians. They hold Brazilian citizenship, don't they? They speak Portuguese, don't they? They play soccer. What else do you need? So, it's not funny at all. It's correct.

The American variant is funny, stupid and tragic. Backward as sh-t, too.

It's kind of hard to call yourself an American when other people call you N..., G...., W....., J.., etc., and treat you as such all the bloody time.
Really true. We is a mess.

Part of our fragmented, amped-up, rats-in-a-maze culture.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Perhaps the subliminal realisation that the "United States" is a corporate scam that is about to be collapsed has caused Americans to revert to a racial means of grouping themselves.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote:Kai1275 and Repatriate,

There may be other factors at work. Cus I often have had the same feeling in my travels, both with whites from USA and whites from other parts of the world Heck, it's not just whites but western foreigners in general. They tend to be cliquish. If you are not in their group, you are invisible. Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis sometimes seem to have this attitude about us Yanks too. Many fellow Americans seem to lack warmth. Perhaps the most easygoing and open westerners I've met have been Canadians.
Now that I think about it I don't think I ever met a Canadian abroad that I didn't like. Even ones that I suspected were shady were pretty easy going and generally nice people. As far as white people go it's definitely fellow Americans that i've had the most issues with as far as rudeness and just outright cuntish behavior. I have seen a lot of Aussies and Brits act like cocks too but it's usually from a distance and not anything up close and personal. I had one run in with an aussie when I first went to Thailand but he was an obvious twerp.

All this could be other factors but it's always eye brow raising when some white American guy goes out of his way to ignore you in a social situation and then runs over to a white bro (he just met) and is about to leg hump him like an excited puppy. I've noticed this casual disrespect more than once when abroad. In all practicality I don't mind that much since it's not like I want to play tour guide but it's interesting for me to note.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Re: Does race supersede nationality for Americans?

Post by Repatriate »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Repatriate wrote:One thing i've noticed is that some white Americans seem uncomfortable or won't completely acknowledge me when abroad. Even when they know i'm from the U.S. some will just outright ignore me but will greet other white Americans smiling and laughing or they will acknowledge white people from other countries. I've never seen Canadians, Brits, or even Australians do this to people of their own nationality. I've never really detected this sort of uncomfortable tenseness with other nationalities i've interacted with either. I've seen mixed race groups socializing together in all the aforementioned anglo countries.

When I see American groups abroad they are almost always ordered by clique or race. It's very interesting. This is especially true for the young backpacker types.
Personally, I don't have a problem saying hello to anyone nor do I feel uncomfortable. Doesn't matter where the person is from or their skin color. But if I'm busy or not in the mood to talk, I don't feel the need to strike up a conversation with someone simply because they're from the same country as I am. Sometimes I will but...I prefer keeping to myself most of the time.
Of course, I think most white Americans i've met abroad aren't like this but there's a significant percentage that exhibit this behavior. I have to clarify that i'm not edging up to people at some club or shitty pub trying to start up conversation it's usually in broad social situation when i'm in a group already or i'm traveling somewhere and i'm around people. So the casual disrespect tends to be even more pronounced when everyone else is being cool.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

i tend to get along with all americans abroad but there is always something there. the asian-americans abroad will just say they are from x country instead to white people to avoid confusion. i like saying im from asia then based in usa, then the city. if they press i tell them. also minority folks that are travelling will form insta groups. in general when with americans we refer to ourselves as cities. its complicated. a lot of truth in this thread about not feeling american enough to others.
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

mguy wrote:i tend to get along with all americans abroad but there is always something there. the asian-americans abroad will just say they are from x country instead to white people to avoid confusion. i like saying im from asia then based in usa, then the city. if they press i tell them. also minority folks that are travelling will form insta groups. in general when with americans we refer to ourselves as cities. its complicated. a lot of truth in this thread about not feeling american enough to others.
Yeah, I noticed this too when I meet other minorities abroad they just get it without me having to say much. Sometimes I wonder if some white Americans aren't just stupid or something. I know a few are trying to be willfully ignorant or cunty about it but for the others how hard is it to understand there are some citizens in America who aren't white and who can also travel abroad? It's literally a 1+1 =2 type thought process. But it takes some people forever to process that. Then they ask questions befitting that of someone with down's.

I can tell where most white people are from in an instant after they open their mouths. This is especially true if they're from the U.S. and they rip out a thick southern or NY accent. :lol:

Also, have you noticed there are almost never white southerners in Asia? I have met people from Florida but I don't consider them true south.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

Repatriate wrote:
mguy wrote:i tend to get along with all americans abroad but there is always something there. the asian-americans abroad will just say they are from x country instead to white people to avoid confusion. i like saying im from asia then based in usa, then the city. if they press i tell them. also minority folks that are travelling will form insta groups. in general when with americans we refer to ourselves as cities. its complicated. a lot of truth in this thread about not feeling american enough to others.
Yeah, I noticed this too when I meet other minorities abroad they just get it without me having to say much. Sometimes I wonder if some white Americans aren't just stupid or something. I know a few are trying to be willfully ignorant or cunty about it but for the others how hard is it to understand there are some citizens in America who aren't white and who can also travel abroad? It's literally a 1+1 =2 type thought process. But it takes some people forever to process that.
Exactly!Some white ass wipe in Brazil who was traveling the world for a year was trying to ask me all kinds of questions about my economic situation and how was it possible that i had been in Brazil almost a year now...I did not tell him shit....I was like..where the f**k do YOU get the money from to travel for a year? Asshole..He sees a black man Abroad first thing he wants to know is how could i afford it...I am so sick of white Americans with this arrogance and need to all ways be better than someone.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

skateboardstephen wrote:
ladislav wrote:
This is funny because..even in Brazil, Asians with call themselves Brazilians!and claim Brazil to the death.
They do so because others call and treat them as fellow Brazilians and human beings and because..well, they are Brazilians. They hold Brazilian citizenship, don't they? They speak Portuguese, don't they? They play soccer. What else do you need? So, it's not funny at all. It's correct.

The American variant is funny, stupid and tragic. Backward as sh-t, too.

It's kind of hard to call yourself an American when other people call you N..., G...., W....., J.., etc., and treat you as such all the bloody time.
Yeah i meant that the American variant was screwed up....I hate to say this but i think it was Anglo-Saxons that started all this..with the segregation era...In countries like Brazil where segregation never took place(at least legally) the Portuguese mixed in with African slaves and the Native Indians and also included them in their culture..whereas white Americans exclude every one from their culture to insure the "white race remain pure" and post segregation they isolated themselves in suburbs fleeing the cities.Blacks felt like outcast there for walking around with a chip on their shoulder being hostile towards anyone not Black...then immigrants where added to the mix..then we have what be got now.
♪Return of The Mack♪ by Mark Morrison! +∞ well-said, man!
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

I identify as Mexican as my ethno-nationality, not as a race. Mexicans aren't a race. typically, Mexicans don't identify by race (exceptions are Mexican-Americans but f**k Mexican-Americans). for nationality, I could identify as Mexican because I legally have Mexican nationality due to my parents but in Mexico, no matter what, I will always be viewed as an American.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236