Food to try in each country

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Food to try in each country

Post by MrMan »

List top foods to try in each country.

South Korea:
Bulgogi
with any grilled meal like that, try out bean sprouts and spinach as a side dish.

doenjang chigae or doenjang guk, a seafood soybean paste soup.

Kim bap-- warm sushi with cooked meat. Not fancy, but I craved it after I left.

Indonesia
sate-- get the Matura kind. This is meat on bamboo skewers served with peanut sauce and sweet soy sauce. Usually it is chicken. Sate kambing made from young goat is also worth trying for another meal.

Fried chicken with nasi uduk (coconut milk rice) and Kankung with tauco (vegetable with fermented soyboean. Javanese food.

Rendang and gulai-- get a plate of this at a Padang/Minang/Minangakabau restaurant. If you get beef rendang, they usually put the yellow chicken gulai sauce on the rice. Gulai is vaguely similar to some versions of Thai yellow curry, depending on the part of Thailand, I gather, but the sauce is less thick. Rendang sometimes get voted the world's most delicious food in polls. Vegies on the side might include some spiced casava leaves (probably tougher than raw collard greens) or cooked jackfruit. Try them all. If they give you a choice go for the jackfruit in that yellow sauce.

Duck egg srikaya. I had this at a high end Padang restaurant in Jakarta called Pagi Sore. This came out with the texture of a quiche or pudding. Srikaya is basically custard that uses coconut milk instead of milk. This spin on it uses richer duck eggs and is green, flavored with pandan leaf.

Rawan, a dark beef soup served in a soup made from a kind of tree nut. Javanese food, I think.

Jantung pisang-- Manado food. Jantung pisang means banana heart and refers to the banana blossom before it turns into bananas and sweetens. They may cook it with pork, white peppers, basil, and all kinds of spices. It's amazing. In some places, they could substitute pork with halal chicken.

If you can get some version of pork and greens Manado style, that's tastes good, but avoid papaya leaves which are incredibly bitter for a bitter green, or you may get culinary PTSD for Manado food. :) If you are in Jakarta, ITC next to Mal Ambasador sells it. It is on the bridge between the buildings on maybe the 4th or 5th floor.

Brenebon-- Manado food--from a Dutch word for brown bean. What we call red beans. A bowl of beans sounds boring, but they put so many fresh spices in it, I changed my mind about beans. Traditionally served with pork, but you can get it with chicken in Muslim areas if you can find Manado food that has halal options.

Arsik, Batak food. A giant lake Tobah golf fish (a nice fluffy white fish with lots of little bones) covered in leaks, a tasty red sauce. I like it better in Jakarta, because if you eat it around Lake Tobah, you may not be able to taste it because it's like they double the spice.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Food to try in each country

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

MrMan wrote:
January 18th, 2024, 7:54 am
List top foods to try in each country.

South Korea:
Bulgogi
with any grilled meal like that, try out bean sprouts and spinach as a side dish.

doenjang chigae or doenjang guk, a seafood soybean paste soup.

Kim bap-- warm sushi with cooked meat. Not fancy, but I craved it after I left.
You should also try
Sam-geop-sal : marinated, grilled pork

Soon dobu: tofu soup

Galbi: Marinated beef ribs

Bibimbap: rice with mixed vegetables, some meat, some eggs.

Samgye-tang: Whole Chicken soup with ginsang, garlic, jujube.

Buchimgae: Korean pancake, eggs, flour, vegetables. fried.

Korean fried chicken: Korean style fried chicken
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I should have mentioned Samgye-tang!

I tried that again when I had a lay over in Korea. They didn't get it quite right in Jakarta at the Korean restaurant there. So I went to a special Samgye-tang place.

Also, it seems like g for unaspirated k became the standard after I left, so I keep wanting to spell stuff wrong and never really learned the transliteration system that well either. I thought about mentioning soe galbi or teji gogi, but the flavor is pretty similar to bulgogi.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MrMan wrote:
January 18th, 2024, 9:21 am

I tried that again when I had a lay over in Korea. They didn't get it quite right in Jakarta at the Korean restaurant there. So I went to a special Samgye-tang place.

Also, it seems like g for unaspirated k became the standard after I left, so I keep wanting to spell stuff wrong and never really learned the transliteration system that well either. I thought about mentioning soe galbi or teji gogi, but the flavor is pretty similar to bulgogi.
Well you should try them out when your employer send you to Korea again for training.. and there is a large K-town in LA and NY.. they also have good Korean food there. Korean food is decent, what I hate is the Korean people and culture. :lol:
88jose88
Freshman Poster

Post by 88jose88 »

Sate is delicious and easily one of my favourite foods.in Amsterdam we have alot of indonesian food and I rank indonesian food as easily in my top 5.

Try honduran food.I tried it twice(one in cleveland with a nice lady on the west side that is a good painter and the other one ran by immigrants in Miami).really good stuff.I also tried cuban in Miami.

Yemeni food is also pretty good.I went with my sister to a Yemeni restaurant on the west side of cleveland.

my favourite meal ever is butter chicken with naan.Saag paneer or cheese with spinach and naan is good too.

I also like couscous alot.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 18th, 2024, 9:26 am
MrMan wrote:

Well you should try them out when your employer send you to Korea again for training.. and there is a large K-town in LA and NY.. they also have good Korean food there. Korean food is decent, what I hate is the Korean people and culture. :lol:
My current employer hasn't anyone I know of to LA. I kind of get to choose locations, but then have to try to get them to reimburse some or all of the expenses.

Btw, I don't know that they marinate sam geop sal. They may just salt that. That tastes good, but it isn't one of my favorites because I think I'm eating fat and it isn't even bacon.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MrMan wrote:
January 18th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
January 18th, 2024, 9:26 am
MrMan wrote:

My current employer hasn't anyone I know of to LA. I kind of get to choose locations, but then have to try to get them to reimburse some or all of the expenses.

Btw, I don't know that they marinate sam geop sal. They may just salt that. That tastes good, but it isn't one of my favorites because I think I'm eating fat and it isn't even bacon.
Well sometimes they do, most of the time they don't. Most Koreans go crazy over SamGyeopSal. I don't, since I'm allergic to pork.
sam gyeop sal means (sam)three (gyeop)layers (sal)meat . One layer fat, one layer meat, another layer fat or meat.