How to Invest in the Russian Stock Market?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

How to Invest in the Russian Stock Market?

Post by MrMan »

Biden said during the State of the Union Address that the Russian stock market went down 40%.

If it is still down, how do you trade from the US? Have sanctions made it illegal? That seems like an extreme drop, and a good time for buy and hold in an index fund or companies that do well during war.

I just started watching, but I hope the whole thing isn't about Russia and the Ukraine. We've got a lot of messes in the US to deal with. At least he's not talking about COVID-19 right now. We have another distraction. They might just start to treat this like all the other diseases that kill a lot of people and pay little attention to it.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to Invest in the Russian Stock Market?

Post by Cornfed »

Haven't the Russians made it difficult for foreigners to take assets out of Russia. It seems like a high probability that you would be throwing your money away.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I think Russian stock market would be a great investment. Either this conflict will end in which case Russian stocks would rise, or there will be a nuclear war in which case your investments don't matter. But I don't know how to do it.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 6:26 pm
Haven't the Russians made it difficult for foreigners to take assets out of Russia. It seems like a high probability that you would be throwing your money away.
Since I am in the US, there is a chance my investments could be lost or frozen on the US side as well. I was just thinking it would be nice if there were some way around that.

But it probably would be so easy or difficult and expensive to get around that, that this contributed to the drop of the stock market. If your home country or Russia is going to make it difficult to get money out of Russia, that may explain the 40% drop in the value of the stock market. I do not know for sure, but they could have a lot of foreign investment, or some of the Russian investors themselves may not want their money parked just in Russia like that and took it out.

But I suspect some of it is bandwagon effect, a huge over-reaction to the news of war, and there is probably some big correction in the future, either instant or over time, that would bring stocks up.

I just looked. The Ruble recently fell 30%. I had not looked up the currency. Maybe 10% over a war due to the uncertainty is reasonable. From the perspective of a foreigner getting in now, buying 40% discounted stock in a 30% discounted currency could have upside potential. It is probably forbidden by sanctions. The sales of stock that drove the market down could have predicted sanctions, investors rushing to get their assets out.

There are probably opportunities for Russians and other non-Russian investors from countries that are not big players on the world scene that do not use sanctions much. There is risk, but there could also be huge returns.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

You can get exposure by buying ETFs like RSX and ERUS (market-cap weighted indexes of Russian stocks) without having to get involved with the risks of trying to maintain Russian accounts. (I personally never considered doing the latter, so don't know anything about that.)
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I would invest in Russia if I could but it will likely drop further. Russia will be victorious and it will cause a boost to Russia's economy, prestige, and power! Gazprom, Lukoil, Yandex, and more! When Russia reclaims it's rightful place globally as a true superpower, it will see a great economic rise!
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Wow, RSX surprisingly has shown some of the most stable price action I've ever seen since last Friday :mrgreen:
Trading of VanEck’s Russia ETFs (RSX and RSXJ) Halted
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trading- ... 00244.html
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

FYI here's the tickers for some of those Russian stocks Tsar listed:

Gazprom
GAZP
OGZPY

Lukoil
LUKOY

Yandex
YNDX

Looks like most of the Russian securities are being delisted from trading in ZOG countries.
Some of you in non-ZOG countries might still be able to make a score there at some point.

Either way, seems individual stocks are much riskier than an index of Russian stocks, since (for example) there's rumors Yandex may be ruined by the economic warfare against Russia (which the jewmedia of course blames on Putin), even though Russia as a country may well come back strong. :?

Edit: An informative article on the recent suspension of trading:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 022-2?op=1
The Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange halted trading in Russian stocks on Monday.
The halt came after the US and other European countries imposed harsh sanctions on Russia due to its invasion of Ukraine.
Russia's central bank has closed its stock market with no plans to reopen it yet.
The Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange halted trading in US-listed Russian stocks on Monday following the invasion of Ukraine and harsh sanctions from Western countries imposed against Moscow.

Shares of Yandex, which traded down more than 20% in pre-market trades on Monday before being halted, were among the Russian stocks that could not be traded, along with Ozon Holdings, Mobile TeleSystems, and Mechel. The halts by the NYSE were due to "regulatory concern," according to its website.

The halts are temporary in nature as regulatory teams of the NYSE and Nasdaq study the new sanctions imposed on Russia, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. There are no expectations as of yet that the Russian stocks will be delisted from the US exchanges.

While individual Russian stocks that trade on US exchanges were halted, trading in the VanEck Vectors Russia ETF was not. That ETF fell as much as 31% in Monday trades, its worst day ever. The decline in the RSX ETF gives an idea of the type of carnage the Russian stock market would have experienced today if it were opened, and what it might experience when it is eventually reopened.

Russia's central bank ordered the Russian stock market to remain closed on Monday and Tuesday as it seeks to stem the sharp decline its its economy and currency, the ruble, which plunged to record lows on Monday. Russia's MOEX stock market index had already plunged 50% last week in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine.

The central bank has not indicated when it will allow the Russian stock market to reopen. So far, it said currency and money-market trading on the Moscow Exchange would begin at 10 a.m. local time on Tuesday, which is a delayed start from its normal start time. The bank also said its extended hours trading in the morning and evening will be canceled from March 1 until March 5.

Whether foreign investors will even be allowed to sell their Russian stocks once the market re-opens remains to be seen, as Russia's central bank also instructed brokers to not execute sell orders from foreign investors.

That could lead to billions in dollars of losses for BP, which said it would divest its 20% stake in Russian oil giant Rosneft on Monday.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Such is the way of things with high-risk speculations:
Putin Signs Decree To Remove Overseas Russian Stocks Amid Global Financial Uncertainties Over Invasion
https://www.hngn.com/articles/241725/20 ... vasion.htm

I took a small position in RSX with high risk speculation-only $$$ as an experiment before they halted it and have no idea what will come of that, but the jew world order's warmongering and economic terrorism have caused oil and commodity ETF prices to explode, more than compensating even if the RSX capital disappears in a puff of smoke.
Chinese stocks are theoretically in a similar place right now, deeply discounted after Emperor Xi thwarted Soros' economic terrorism and cracked down on out of control jew capitalism amongst China's billionaires, but of course if the jew world order ramps up war against them too their stocks might get delisted.
These are examples of why I love trading but not value investing, though it certainly is interesting to watch these scenarios play out and place a few bets with "play" money just for fun.
P.S. Doug Casey pretty much wrote the book on this kind of thing in the late 1970s: "Crisis Investing" , as well as "The International Man" about our shared enthusiasm for running away from collapsing nation-states run by sociopaths who want to kill us. :o